1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shakerdancee, Apr 22, 2008.

1. shakerdancee

Today was crap. In second period, I was standing next to this guy who was talking to this other guy... and he was all blahblahblah HOMO blah blah GAY blah blah.

Being sort of sensitive about this (after reading this thread: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9495 ) I was like "and what's wrong with being gay?" so he started screaming like a fucking banshee: "OH MY GAWD YOU IS GAY OH MY GOD DON'T TOUCH ME COACH GET HIM AWAY FROM ME HE'S GONNA RAPE ME."

So the coach pulled me away (while the guy still shouting at the rest of the class to stay away from me) and tried to explain that "some cultures" (yes, the guy is black) are more involved with prison and in prison gay people rape other people and it's bad... or something.

I hate both of them currently. Discuss.

2. Kyle Tristan

Kyle Tristan Guest

Tell Him To Go See A Doctor... LOL!
    At Least Your Coach Is Somewhat On Your Side =)

3. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean man...:dry:

all I hear all day is "GAY HOMO HOMO GAY" and once I just said.

"You know, you keep saying, people are gonna think your gay"

and all of a sudden, a murder occured, the sun blew up, someone combusted, a dog blew up, SOMETHING LIKE THAT, to make this guy GO OFF!

"OH MY GOD! SHUT THE HELL UP YOU FAG!" ... I kinda stopped listnening after that...:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

heh, at least the coach is kinda on your side...althought I'm kinda confused on what he said lol.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What your coach said sounds (to me) like the most ridiculous racist and homophobic garbage I've ever heard. Gay people are certainly not the only perpetrators of rape in prison... most of prison rape has to do with power (and sexual release) and I'm betting that like pedophilia, it's mainly done by straight people just because an overwhelming majority of people are straight.

Plus there's the whole fact that ostensibly this guy or his culture is more prison-involved... gah.

Trying to pretend that anyone has a defence for freaking out like this kid did for cultural reasons is just insane. Especially given the incredible mildness of what you said that set him off.

Can you imagine what would have happened to you if you had freaked out at this guy because he was black? Yeah, I'm pretty sure the coach wouldn't have been dragging away the black kid and explaining to him that because you're from this culture or that culture, you have some kind of excusable reason for your bigotry. Your coach dragged away the wrong kid; you weren't the one freaking out.

At least your classmate is young and people could attempt to excuse his stupidity on the basis of his age and inexperience. I don't know what excuse there is for your coach.

Although I'd be tempted to say, "Gay people don't rape people, people rape people." Or something equally as dense.

5. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i completely agree.
    from what you said it sounds like your classmate is just acting like the rest of the ignorant and homophobic population outthere... immature but nothing new.

i was more worried by the reaction of your coach - and the fact that hes been placed in a position of responsibility where he can pass on his prejudices to other impressionable young people.

i hate people like that!!!:eusa_naug

6. Jim1454

Yes - I agree here too. The coach dragged the wrong kid aside. You didn't do anything wrong and you have every right to be ticked off.

It still surprises me - the proportion of the population that appear to be stupid...

7. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm just glad you stood up for your views. I doubt you got the results you had intended, but keep up with what you're doing. There are those people who aren't brave enough to stand up for what they believe, and it's clear you're not one of those people. Good for you. Hopefully I'll have your bravery/courage one day!

Your coach sounds like an absolute quack. What he said to you was racist and TOTALLY ignornant. His logic was...man-man rape happens in prison, a lot of black people go to prison, therefore this is okay and why this black kid has a problem with you being gay. None of those things are actually related to each other or necessarily true. Your coach's statement is ridiculous, as is that student who said those words to you.

From where I come from, if a student says something like that to you, you are allowed to seek judicial action against that student. The whole rape comment is making me annoyed. The kid is absolutely demented if he thinks that being in the presence of a gay person means he's at risk of being raped...

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Playing a card game, my friend saved me from losing, and I told him: I love you!
    Then he told me: I'm just glad you're not serious.
    I was like... Why you tell that?
    He answered: Because you're straight.

It freaks me out the close-minded homophobic people, so well all you and all uf us has to do is to hang on thight and let our voice be heard! (if we're out).

9. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sucks that some places are so homophobic that guys can't say they love each other, platonically even... tell him to watch Superbad :grin:

Also, on a completely platonic level, I think that two guys telling each other they love each other is beautiful... especially if it's the first time in a society that ...not really "forbids" it, but doesn't find it acceptable to happen at all.

10. kozmic blues

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What were you thinking? I would have never let that shit fly around me(maybe it's easier for me being over 6ft and having less people willing to start shit, but still)! You know you could have probably got that stupid ass coach fired. The dumbass guy sexually harassed you. It's a pretty serious offense and the coach did not handle it properly. The kid should've immediately been suspended (at least) for that.

11. shakerdancee

To the first few replies in this thread, I don't want you to have the impression that the coach was "on my side". What joeyconnick and Ryesright said basically describes my thoughts on it.

Thanks for the replies from everyone