1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i need to tell someone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by monsoon044, Jun 14, 2013.

1. monsoon044

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi I'm Tyler, I'm 16 years old (and not much of a writer) and I'm gay.

Ive always kind of known I was gay but I'm still uncomfortable when I say it. I've never told anyone and was a little hesitant to even write this. This is the first time I've even bluntly admitted to it! So I guess I should start from the begining. I've always felt normal when it came to just being around people and these feelings for other guys have just been a part of who I was. The first time anything significant happened was during middle school when I began to notice other guys at school (especially during PE). At first I thought it was a phase and would pass quickly but it didn't. Then I began to consider myself bi but that too didn't last long. By about 8th grade what I had feared was true, I was gay. When high school came around my parents were suspicious that I didn't have a girlfriend or even talked about girls. My dad never said anything but my moms been hinting subtly with "are there any cute girls at school". I think its hard for my parents to be sure because Im not feminine in the least. I would rather shoot guns than go shopping. But for now no one knows and no one has even come out and asked. Unlike most stories on here I don't have any openly gay friends or relatives to come out to. I have no idea how my parents would react and my brothers are just as homophobic. Im considering coming out to my cousin this summer because he is my closest friend and I feel like I've been putting this off long enough. He is five months older than me but weve always been inseparable. He is Mormon and I'm ex-Mormon so I know he will accept me as gay if he can accept that I don't follow his religion anymore.

I don't know what more to say besides: its foolish to fear what we have yet to see and know

2. emz

emz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Tyler,

You've came to the right place. Plenty of people to talk to on here and share similar stories to yourself. I only joined a few days ago and I'm finding a lot of the topics shared on here very helpful. I've always kept everything to myself but I've discovered that by speaking to others it's taken the world of my shoulders. Hope everything works out for you :slight_smile:

Emz.

3. evora

Hello and :welcome: to EC!
    If you feel like your cousin would be accepting, I think you should tell him. It will make you feel better. And it's perfectly alright to be afraid, even if you know it will go well. :slight_smile:
    Good luck!