1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't say it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UndercoverGypsy, Jun 15, 2013.

1. UndercoverGypsy

Hey guys. I couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I really wanted to come out to my mom on my 14th birthday. It just so happens that that is not only today, but I am scared shitless of saying it. The words just won't come out of my mouth. I know my mom will be fine with it. I just can't. Can anyone help me out here?

2. AaronMed

I had the exact same problem, so I said, "Let's get one thing straight - I'm not". Use that, then she'll ask if you're gay, and you can say "yes" - then you don't have to say it yourself :slight_smile:.

3. UndercoverGypsy

Lol. The thing is, I can't bring myself to tell her I need to talk to her about something, let alone say that... :icon_sad:

4. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LOL!!! I love that. I'm having the same problem, I was going to come out, but every time the words almost come out of my mouth, I can't make a sound, I just sit there for 2 hours stressed out.

5. Adarya

Have you ever thought about writing a nice note or letter to her that can help you to come out, without actually saying anything out loud? There's also many other one-line statements (like the "Let's get something straight- I'm not" line that someone already posted) and creative ways to not completely come out to her but that can help to start the conversation.

6. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I think writing it down is a great idea. That's what I did when I first came out. It's just much more simpler.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had the same problem, I tried to tell my Mom but the words just would not come out, I too knew she would be OK with it, a few weeks later I told her that I had attended a Gay Pride Parade when she asked me what I had done over the weekend, this then prompted her to ask me if I was Gay & I said "yes" & she was OK with it, good luck when you can actually say those words & start being You :slight_smile:

8. RainbowMan

What helped me is repeating it over and over aloud, alone. Sounds strange, and if anyone heard me I'm certain that they'd think I was a complete nut job (who says I'm not? :grin:), but it really did help.

The same thing worked the first day of therapy. I just stood outside the building (he's in a large office building) for about 5 minutes saying "I'm gay, and this is why I'm here". Again, people probably thought I'd gone mad, but whatever.

9. UndercoverGypsy

Funny you mention that, our pride festival (shoutout to the dev for that site - that css is beautiful) ends tomorrow... If only I had someone to go with. Oh well.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2013 at 09:58 PM ----------

Hah, the thing is that I'm fine with being gay and saying that I'm gay to some people and not others. There is no discomfort when I say it - I have had lengthy conversations with the friends I'm out to about it. It seems that I just can't say it when I really have to. Life's a bitch, eh?

10. karina

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i agree with those previous posts. writing down really will be a good idea, it can actually prevent the confrontation coming too strongly.

11. Munyal

I was so scared to tell my parents that I wrote a short letter, and gave it to them not ten seconds after writing it. (I also covered the letter in rainbows)

12. UndercoverGypsy

Lol, that's cute.

Just as an update, all this bullshit has been kinda depressing me as of late. I need to come out before I become a moody asshole. I think I'll write a letter, but there's never a good time for it - my brother's in highschool and has finals in the middle of the day at the moment, so I'm scared he'll find the letter before my mum. Ontop of that, my mum works from home with a few colleagues who are basically family. I don't want them finding out just yet, but there's always someone in the house...

13. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps put it on your mums bed or under her pillow or something? Then the only person likely to find it would b her.

14. biggayguy

This is one reason I wrote a coming out letter. It was a lot less pressure. Then you can follow up after they have had time to digest your letter with "What did you think of my letter?"

15. RainbowMan

Agreed on the letter being less pressure, that's how I came out to my parents as well. Being that I live hundreds of miles from either of them, I sent them an email and left for work, with instructions in the email that I couldn't talk until after a certain time that day. What do you know, I get a call from my Dad way before the appointed time, I ignore it and leave the office literally shaking from fear.

Turns out that he hadn't read his email yet, and was calling to wish me a happy birthday :slight_smile:. Our phone call later on that night went really well, actually!

16. UndercoverGypsy

K guys, I think I'll go with the letter. I'm still scared shitless, though - I think I'm gonna say it tomorrow. I dunno. Maybe it will get my friends off my back about telling her... :grin: