1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've just told my mother I'm gay!!! :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by evora, Jun 15, 2013.

1. evora

And she doesn't believe me.

It felt so surreal like the words that were coming out of my mouth weren't even mine. I still can't believe I did it. Just like that.

I started by asking her to come to Pride with me and she was saying things like 'what is that?' and I said it's gay pride and she was like 'is it only for gay men...or lesbian as well?' 'it's for gay people' and then she says 'only gay people go there and we are not gay' and then I said 'I am' and she was like :eusa_doh: 'oh (my name), you're not' and I kept insisting 'but I am gay' and she was like 'no you're not. why would you be gay?' and said 'you don't believe me then?' the answer was 'no'
    me: 'you'll see in 10-20 years then that I am'
    her: 'do you think you are because you haven't had a boyfriend yet?'
    me: 'no but I know I am'
    her: 'how would you know? you can't be gay.'
    I left her with 'you don't believe me then?' She was still shaking her head and said 'no' so I said 'fine' and left.

:rolle:

Opinions please? (It still doesn't feel real.)

One positive outcome is though, it will be easier to bring it up from now on and just say every morning: 'you still don't believe me? because I am quite sure...'

I'm still a bit shake-y. I'll try again soon. Maybe with things like 'would it bother you?' 'it's entirely my business who I sleep with' etc. etc.

Please help? ~I say that in a very desperate sounding voice

2. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

The first stage is often denial. I am sure she will take you seriously soon enough. Just keep talking to her. As for you not having a boyfriend explain to her that one big reason for that is because you aren't interested in boys. She didn't react in shock or anger which is a plus. Congratulations on taking that first big step.

3. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well at least she didn't react in anger. I think it will get better over time and she will stop denying it. And yeah I do think it is something you can bring up again and again to show her that your being serious.

Yeah I think it would also help if you talk about your attraction to girls directly, not just say your gay.

4. Aldrick

As other's pointed out the first step toward acceptance is denial. This is okay. You're okay. This reaction is quite common and natural. She's spent her entire life picturing you as straight; if you remember at some point you struggled with accepting that you were gay as well. She's doing the same.

As for the boyfriend aspect of things, first point out to her that you don't need to have sex to know that you're attracted to someone. Ask her how she knew she was straight before she had a boyfriend? How did she know she was romantically and sexually attracted to men before being romantically and sexually involved with them? The same is true for you.

This also applies if she wants to talk about being gay as a "choice" - ask her when she chose to be straight.

She's likely to have other feelings, eventually. Remember the process is denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. She'll eventually flow through all of these steps, but ultimately she'll end up at acceptance.

Congratulations! You've just taken your first step. (*hug*)

5. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well said. These are some of the advices that I wish I had when I came out. But also, remember how long it took you to figure yourself out and accept yourself, she has to do the exact same thing. I am also quite familiar with eastern european mothers, they are amazing but very stubborn. They soften up with time. Good luck

6. smokey-knows-all

Aw :frowning2: im sorry she wasnt supportive. At least it was denial not anger? (*hug*)

7. evora

She laughed...

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 08:28 AM ----------

I just don't think she believes her daughter could be gay. And what she said pointed to that as well. "...only gay people go to pride and we are not gay, I'm not a lesbian and you're not either..." To me that says 'I gave birth to you so you can't be homosexual'.
    I'm sure she doesn't understand what it really means. She probably thinks I was supposed to dress in pink glittery dresses all my life, and who knows what else.:rolle:

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 08:31 AM ----------

It's annoying that she doesn't believe me when I tell her I'm gay. She probably won't either until I'm in a relationship with a woman. Well, at least I've warned her...

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 08:33 AM ----------

I thought about that but I'm scared she might use it against me in the future, to ridicule me.:icon_sad:

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 08:35 AM ----------

It still doesn't seem real. She didn't even brought it up this morning, so I guess I'll have to.:confused:
    "She didn't react in shock or anger which is a plus." -> She laughed though...

8. Aldrick

It can often feel very shaming or upsetting when we're being vulnerable with someone, especially someone as close to us as a parent, and they laugh at us. However, I think it's important to remember that we laugh for many different reasons. We don't only laugh when we hear or see something ridiculous or funny. We often laugh when we're nervous and uncertain - when we laugh it has a calming effect on us. It's a natural reflex.

What likely went through her mind, "No... no... no... she can't be gay. Right?" *nervous laughter* "You're not gay. Why would you be gay?" *more nervous laughter*

This is a form of denial. Eventually, she'll probably try to convince you that if you found the right guy you'd feel differently, or something along those lines. That'd be her attempting to bargain with you. When that fails she'll likely become angry for a period of time, "Why don't you want to change?! You're not even trying!" Then she'd likely become depressed for a period of time, "I give up... I'm a failure as a mother. I'm so sorry that I failed you. I never wanted this to happen." Then there is the possibility that she could jump back to one of the earlier phases, or move on toward acceptance.

The important thing is that throughout this process you go on living your life. If / when she attempts to bargain with you, don't give in - it'll only give her false hope. If / when she becomes angry that you're not doing what she wants, simply do the best you can to let it roll off your back. If / when she becomes depressed, move in to support and comfort her and to tell her how happy you'll be living out and open. Eventually, she's going to reach acceptance.

The fact that she didn't bring it up is not an indication that she isn't thinking about it. Not bringing it up can also be a form of denial - for example, if she doesn't talk about it, then maybe the issue will go away. If she pretends it isn't happening, then maybe it isn't happening - maybe you're just confused, or were just telling a joke, or... or.. or... deny, deny, deny.

Don't let this bother you. You're strong and you're going to come out of the other side of this even stronger.

9. robotman

The same thing happened with me when I told my mum... The first thing she said to me after I told her was "you can't be gay, you don't act gay" I was like mum "you don't have to act a certain way to feel something"... My mum understood after a while though, just keep trying to talk to her and tell her how you are feeling and like you said she didn't react angrily so it should be fine, hope it works out for you =).

10. evora

Update: I've just asked her again if she still didn't believe me and then she went on a rant, this is the gist of it: "You don't even know what you are. You have zero experience in the real word. You don't know yourself at all."

I don't think it's denial or anger. She simply doesn't believe I know what I want or who I am.
    It was a bit hurtful though that she said 'you don't even know what you are' instead of 'who you are'.

What can I say to make her believe me?

Oh, I know. I'll send her lots of gay related things, news, pictures (well, maybe not that,..yet) on facebook (in PMs of course).

#10 evora, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  11. Thegreatperhaps

So many amazing words of advice have been given on here. I can kind of relate. Most of the time when I come out people automatically ask, "You're kidding right?" Not in a disgusted manner, they just sound really shocked. And at first I'd get really upset and think now why the hell would I kid about this? But then I accepted that it's just an initial reaction.
    I don't know if words can help prove anything or magically convince her that you're self-assured and know what you want. I think it may be best to leave it for time to tell. As you venture off into life and experiences and relationships, I think eventually she'll get it. It's really just a process for everyone, and some people handle it differently and shorter/longer than others. I think what would be best is if she has any questions or the topic comes up, to answer as confidently as you can. But really, I'm sure it's stressful and it feels like you have a lot to prove, but just remember that this most likely won't be the case forever. She just needs time.

12. evora

Yes, and I'd like to thank everyone for it!(*hug*)

13. evora

I sent her lots of articles on homosexuality and LGBT rights. I know she's seen them but haven't read them. :frowning2: Even if me being gay bothered her, she wouldn't blame herself. She'd blame me, because in our house always everything is my fault.

I don't think she'd understand why I'm so sure I'm gay, because I never believed she's ever really been in love. At most it was the idea of being in love that she must have mistook for the real thing. Looking at my parents, I've never seen them as a couple in love, unlike my grandparents who despite being 66, you can tell they still love each other.

So it would be hard to explain my attraction to someone who's never experienced it before, even if she thinks she has. I'm not even sure if what I wrote makes sense. Sorry if it's a bit confusing. I've confused myself as well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Completely irrelevant, but it always unnerves me when I see how many people have read (or just looked at) my threads but didn't say anything. And in this case the number's over 200...I don't think there are even 100 active members who post regularly...

14. Aldrick

No, it is denial. She's getting angry because you're trying to pull her out of that denial, and she's looking for reasons to stay in it - thus, she's attacking you. After all, if you don't know who you are or what you want, then you can't be gay, right? Of course, this is hogwash, you know exactly how you feel and what you want. She just isn't ready to accept that yet.

I know it's hurtful. (*hug*) Don't worry though, eventually in time she'll come around. I know you want her to be at acceptance right now, at this moment in time, but she just isn't there yet. However, she *WILL* get there. If she didn't love and care about you, this wouldn't be a big deal to her.

Nothing. It's not your job to make her believe anything. It's your job to be honest and truthful with who you are, and it's her job to work through her feelings on the matter. You are not responsible for how she reacts or how she feels - she is responsible for that.

15. danjp20131

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How does it feel to come out?

16. evora

It feels unreal. Especially because it seems like nothing's changed. I thought it would make me feel better about myself but it didn't.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 09:58 PM ----------

But that's it. It doesn't seem like a big deal to her at all. She doesn't even believe me and thinks she knows me so much better than I do.

This last paragraph made me feel so much better actually. Thank you for that!(*hug*) I know I should have come to that conclusion by myself but for some reason it seems more believable when someone else points it out to you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#16 evora, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  17. Aldrick

I'm glad that helped. Just hold your head up high and keep moving forward. Your mother is going to react in whatever manner that she does, but the important part is that you shouldn't let it get to you. She has to work through her feelings, you can't do that for her, and neither can you control what she thinks or believes.

The only thing you can do is choose to accept your mother for where she is at in this moment in time, love her for that in spite of how frustrating and hurtful it is, and the same is true for her loving you. She can only choose to accept you for who you are and where you are at in this moment in your life. I believe she will choose to do that in time, especially if you don't let this hold you back, and you keep pushing forward with your life. Eventually, she's going to have to accept the truth because the truth will become apparent and she'll have no choice.

I think the "I know you better than you know yourself" thing is a common trait among mothers. When I came out to my mother for the second time (long and not so happy story on how that happened), she tried to tell me that she suspected that I was gay since I was eight years old. Now, maybe she did, but she never gave the slightest hint of that - ever. When I asked her about it, she kept blowing me off, "Oh, it's just a thing mothers know about their children."

Now, looking back at my life it wouldn't be shocking for her to have known at that age, but between you and me - I don't think she did. I think she is merely retconned her memory on my childhood a bit to make her think that she knew, because it wouldn't crush the delusion that she knows her children better than they know themselves. Because my mother definitely subscribes to that delusion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So, I feel and understand you, Evora. My mother isn't much different.

18. EscapeArtist

First and foremost...CONGRATULATIONS! Telling our parents is one of the biggest hurdles we'll ever face. I think its best to remain calm and confident and continue to ask any questions she may have honestly. I know rejection from a family member can be specifically painful but it is also something that people change their mind's about once coming to know and love someone who is gay. Also-I think its important to remember that living genuinely and happily outweighs the judgement of others. Stay strong!

19. evora

You are all amazing!(*hug*)
    Thank you for your help! (It does make me feel better reading what you wrote.:slight_smile:)

20. Congrats!

I have thought about this very thing happening when I come out to my family. I am going to mention that a heterosexual person does not have to have sex with someone to know their orientation. It is the same for me. I have not had sex with a woman, but I know that I am a lesbian.