1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help?! Seriously Homophobic Grandparents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whokilledthefun, Jun 15, 2013.

1. whokilledthefun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi guys, this is my first time on here so yeah :slight_smile:
    Im a recently out the closet lesbian and most people know...Just not my grandparents. I plan on not telling my dads side because i know they wont even speak to me at all but i barely see them but on my mums side, I see my grandparents a lot and were close; Here the problem. These grandparents are also very homophobic, They claim its not right, Homosexuals are perverted (We all know these common insults). A great example of them saying this was i was round theirs for dinner, a gay couple came on the news and they started shouting at the tv 'Disgusting! Shouldn't be allowed!' Naturally i defended the couple and my gran said if i agreed with what they were doing i'm perverted. I honestly felt like crying :tears:, This was only the other week and 1 of many examples. My mum said not to tell them but i feel i need to so they can stop doing the 'Have you got a boyfriend?' 'All the boys will be chasing you' thing and if im happy with someone they can meet them.
    I need some serious help guys, Any advice? :help:

2. smokey-knows-all

My attitude is usually "This is me, fuck you if you don't like it" but then again I don't have the best relationship with my family in general. If they mean alot to you but would hate you for who you are then you have a choice to make between keeping it from them or being honest and taking the heat. They would probably eventually start missing their granddaughter wouldn't they? It's not like they could just block you out forever, especially if you are still a teenager, because you likely go visit them along with your mom. May love triumph over bigotry!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: