1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's more awkward to say?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ethereal, Jun 15, 2013.

1. ethereal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "I'm gay" or "I don't like girls/guys?" The thing with saying that you're gay is that the word comes with such negative connotations, unfortunately, which is partly why I'm sure it's so hard for people to say. The word "gay" is also risky in the sense that people have their own stereotypes and prejudices attached to the word and therefore by extension you. But saying that you don't "like" a certain gender is also a bit unsusual :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: although I'll admit, saying you're gay to someone who you know to be really accepting of LGBT issues is not a big deal at all.

2. KnownSecret

I think saying something like: I'm attracted to guys/girls. Is a pretty good way that's not too awkward nor could it be misinterpreted. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you identify as gay, or homosexual might as well just use that label since you consider yourself it. But I would probably prefer to say that I'm not attracted to girls, or that I am attracted to guys because it kind of sugar coats it because as you said people perceive the word gay as a word they don't want to hear. But yeah as you said, telling someone that accepts the LGBT community your gay isn't that big of a deal. :slight_smile:

Going towards the point of telling a parent or something like that I will probably say I don't like girls or I am not straight, or maybe I'm attracted to guys. But idk yet! I might even just say I'm gay because that's truly what I am and there's really no sugar coating the truth haha :wink: Good luck on your journey!!

~Zack~

3. Thegreatperhaps

It really depends on the person. If you're aware that they're a bit more sensitive to the topic of sexuality, then saying "I'm attracted to men" or "I don't like women" may help a bit, but in my honest opinion in the end it all means the same.
    But this is coming from someone who is the least bit graceful when it comes to coming out. I usually just end up blurting "I'm gay" out after a long, dramatic pause. Oh, yes. I'm sure my parents will love this.
    Anyways, I think you should just go with the flow and consider what the particular person is like, and how they'd feel the most comfortable. As for the stereotypes or misconceptions, I'm sure you'll be able to clear them up as time goes by if needed. Good luck if you're planning on coming out to someone/people in particular. :')

4. vrrml

i think 'i like girls/guys' works best if your not completely sure and it also allows for being bisexual or gay, but 'i'm gay' is a more confident statement. So i think it depends on how your feeling yourself what works best.

5. chrisV

that's why i have only come out to other gay people. they understood, and didn't judge me.

6. EscapeArtist

I think its best to be honest. Lables are best when given to oneself. If you've obtained confidence in yourself the ability to shed people's (often changing) negative opinions will follow shortly after. It did for me anyway. I think its unwise to jump to conclusions-someone may surprise you. Good luck!

7. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Here is the least awkward way to do it.
    Say, "gurrllllll, I need to tell you something."
    Do the z-snap.
    Then say, "Honey, I'm gayer than Elton John blowing Barney at a figure-skating competition on John Travolta's private plane, oh-kray?"
    Then leave elegantly.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 02:19 PM ----------

But seriously, "I'm gay" is less awkward if you ask me.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2013 at 02:20 PM ----------

Because it takes less time to say and is less complicated.
    But probably the biggest reason is that if you say "I'm gay" it sounds confident, like you're cool, but you just sound lame, unsure, and too politically correct if you say, "Umm, I like men."