1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I've decided to come out to my family.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wittyusername, Jun 16, 2013.

1. wittyusername

I decided that this was the best thing to do, and my parents know that something's up and they keep asking me about girls and such. So I decided, it's Father's Day, we'll all be having a nice dinner at home, and that's probably the best time to tell them. I know they'll be completely supportive about it, but I'm still a little nervous, especially about telling my siblings. I know they'll be fine with it too, I'm just worried about all the questions they will ask. But unless I chicken out, I'll tell them all tonight. :icon_bigg

So does anybody have any advice on how to bring it up? Should I just randomly say, "Hey guys, I'm bi-romantic"? Or something like, "I'm sort of straight but I also really like girls"? Any advice? Thanks!

2. Lewis

Aw, I hope it goes well! Keep us updated on how it goes.

As for advice, just tell them you need to talk and simply tell them.

3. Aielar

Sounds like it'll go great with your family, let us know how it goes!

Also, even if you decide you cannot do it yet at the last minute, don't be too hard on yourself.

4. wittyusername

I did it! I just told them, and they were just kind of like, "Huh. Okay". And then they told me they loved me no matter what, no matter who I am. They didn't really understand the whole romantic orientation thing, which is completely understandable. I think that it would be pretty hard to understand for most people who's sexual orientation and romantic orientation match up. So I plan on sending my mom a bit more info, though there's not a whole lot about it on the internet. But they really were awesome about it. And thanks you guys, for the support and the advice. You guys are awesome! :icon_bigg (!)

5. Awesome.

I was wondering, can you explain it a bit to me? I was wondering about your orientation when I saw it. I know I can google it, but I like reading people's stories.

6. wittyusername

Sure, no problem. So I've known something was different for 3 years now, and I first I thought I might be lesbian, or bisexual. But I realized those terms weren't right, because I would look at a girl and think, "Oh, she's hot" or, "I would date her". But when I thought of anything sexual with women, it didn't turn me on or anything, I thought that maybe I wouldn't hate it but I wouldn't enjoy it either. So I kept searching for "emotionally bisexual" and finally came up with the term I use now. Long story short, with girls I would like to kiss, and cuddle, and go on dates, and basically anything typically associated with dating, just no sex. And with guys I would like to do the same, except with sex. :icon_wink

7. cool.

One thing I have really learned from EC is that gender and sexuality is a lot more fluid that I thought.

I am glad that coming out went well for you.

I am also from Texas.

8. wittyusername

Yes, as I have discovered myself. :icon_bigg Texas is nice. And thanks!

9. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, Witty-

What great news! I know that even though you thought they'd be supportive, it's still a huge step and took lots of courage. Good for you!

--Zoe

10. wittyusername

Thank you so much!! :icon_bigg