1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to parents as transgender (again)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dylansheadplace, Jun 18, 2013.

1. dylansheadplace

Hey.
    So I was thinking about trying to come out to my parents again that I was transgender. Except I'm really terrified about it.
    The reason I refused to tell them last time was because I was afraid that they were going to react badly. My mother flat out told me that I was not transgender because I wasn't five when I figured it out. (I know she's wrong but it still makes me anxious).
    This time I was going to try asking for a therapist who can help with gender issues. But, I have three younger siblings and they are always in the way. Otherwise, she's working. I can't get my mother alone to talk to her.
    I tried writing her a letter but I can't find a good place or time to give it to her because I know she will cry.
    It's only been a few days since I decided I would try and I think I'm worrying myself sick.
    Help?

2. GayJay

I know exactly how you feel!
    With younger siblings and scared of a bad reaction or her crying it took me ages to tell me mum
    I'm not much help at all sorry, but in the end i wrote a very brief letter and left it by her bedside. i left out a lot of detail so she didn't get too upset or anything, but included i wanted counselling sessions. The i asked her to come with me to the sessions and explained everything there.
    Doing it that environment and with a professional who could help explain my point when i got stuck made it a lot easier, then from there iv'e moved to a gender clinic

3. BlueSupernova

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, this may seem like I think its easier than it is, but I'm just going to give it to you straight. You CANNOT worry about what she is going to say! This is YOUR life and who YOU are, it is not hers, it is not who she is, and you are her son/daughter (sorry i dont know what your choice was, dont want to be offensive) so she should put her own opinions aside and love you no matter what! and you tell her that!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :slight_smile:

4. homoboy22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    jeca ur a great help ima tell my mom and dad that way. im really scared too.thats why im part of this website