1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to female friend who likes me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oro, Jun 19, 2013.

1. oro

oro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My best friend is a straight woman, and I'm a gay man. I have not come out to anyone yet, but I want to. I feel ready to, and naturally the first person I want to share this with is my best friend. But I have been told my my other friends that this friend likes me and has liked me for a long time. She has suffered with depression and self-esteem issues in the past, and I'm afraid that if I tell her I'm gay, I'll somehow hurt her.
    Is this a stupid fear? Should I just tell her?

2. KnownSecret

Its understandable why you feel fear of telling her. I don't think telling her you are gay will make her too upset, but I could be wrong as I don't know her. It's hard to tell someone that has a crush on you that your gay, but maybe her knowing will make her feel that she can talk to you about things and maybe she will feel more comfortable around you? In the end its up to you if you want to tell her or not, but I think you should just so that she can stop crushing on you and find someone else to crush on, someone healthy for her sexual orientation. :slight_smile: Good luck oro, I hope you have an easy time!

~Zack~

3. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

I am in the same situation (other way round obviously) and I also don't really know what to do. I finding it pretty difficult. If you decide to tell her I hope it goes ok! :slight_smile: