1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im not sure what to do :S. [Little brother related]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 24, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Ok so basically, he seems to have the need to remind me that hes not gay about 100 times a day. I dont get why hes doing this, and today he was like: "I'm not gay!" randomly while I was making butter tarts, andi was explaining to him what a butter tart was, and in the middle of my explanation, he burst that out. I responded with, "I KNOW." which shut him up for a bit.

hes 2 years younger than me. is there anything i can do? or should i just ignore him?

2. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Well, if he's 16 and behaves like that you can either talk to him about it instead of letting him go ranting or just ignore his immaturity. (No offense intended.) It's not easy having to deal with little siblings but there's always a way. I wish you the best of luck. (*hug*)

3. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Just be plain sarcastic. It will shut him up.
    For example:
    He - I'm NOT gay!
    You - Good for you.
    You - You want a cake or a present or something?
    You - You sure? Wow.
    You - Great! Now go and discover America!
    You - So?
    You - You sure!?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just sit him down and say "Look I know your not gay, you tell me every day so I know. you can stop telling me every minute now"

5. HalfInsane

Well... if he's being that immature, a reasonable, mature conversation is probably out of the question. You could try randomly bursting out with "WELL, I'M NOT STRAIGHT! AHAHA!!!!"

But more seriously, seeing as he's trying to annoy you, the best thing to do is to try not to get annoyed. You could try simply straight out ignoring him, or you could just reply with an indifferent "Yup" every time he points out that he's straight (I prefer the "Yup", since it shows you've heard him, but that you don't care). He may continue for a few days anyways, or even for the period of weeks (although, hopefully, with decreasing frequency) but eventually he should get bored of it. You never know, though, but I'd say it's your best bet. Also, if you can, actually work on getting yourself to the point where you don't care. If you can manage to do that, it doesn't matter what he does.

6. Vampyrecat

One thing you could try is to ask if he's covering up the fact that he really IS gay, and is only saying he's not to convince himself of that. Sometimes people are incredibly homophobic only because they can't handle the fact that they are gay.

Otherwise, sit down with your bro and tell him you don't need to hear those remarks a hundred times a day. He's already said it once, he doesn't need to keep doing so. It's not as if you go around saying "I'm Gay! I'm not straight! The queer is here!" so why should he?

If that doesn't work, then try to just go "Yup" or "Okay" whenever he says it. he'll get bored of it if you don't react.

Otherwise, sarcasm is a good tool to help people realise what they're saying. Go with Quitex's above post, because those are good safe (as in not violent) responses.

Hope things work out for you. :slight_smile:

7. Gumtree

No fair, i was about to say this!!

lol

Anyway, i think he's gay :grin: Mind you i think everyones gay so that doesn't mean much...

Just talk to him, make it appear that what he's doing makes him look gay and he will stop is right away.

If he keeps doing it, then he's straight because he doesn't care.

If he stops after you tell him that, you know your brother is gay :slight_smile:

8. Nitro

Slightly different approach but same general idea. Sit him down and have a little chat. Tell him that you never really though much about his sexuality but that now that he is constantly mentioning the "I'm not gay" thing that you are starting to wonder if maybe he is gay. Then pull an extended "gay is okay" routine on him and make sure to mention that if he ever finds out otherwise (in other words latter on he discovers he is gay) that there is no shame in coming to talk to you and that you will love him just as much.

If executed properly it should either (i) weird him out and make him stop and/or (ii) make him feel comfortable coming out to you in the future. It is because of this dual-nature that you will have to be at least somewhat sincere, and because of that sincerity that he will be weirded out.

Good luck whatever course of action you choose.

9. darkestknight

Well, you can always ask him back,

"Hey dude, no need to remind me so many times. Aha, if you are doing that, MAYBE you are one of them! If so, welcome to the club!"

See how he react to this. :slight_smile:

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Say: "I'm sorry." and give him a sad face.

11. MusicIsLife

:grin: thanks guys for allthe wonderful responses.

next time he does it I'll try out the sarcasm approach, and if it doesnt work I'll try the heart-to-heart-approach.

thanks again :slight_smile:

12. sdc91

lol, I like Becky's approach the best.