1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom dates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Islander, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Islander

Hi there,

So, my school's prom is coming up soon and I have heard from one of my friends that a guy who has liked me for a while is planning on asking me to be his date, or perhaps just asking to dance with me at prom. The problem is, I am not out at all (except to my school counsellor), and turning him down without giving a valid reason would be rude. However, at the same time, I don't want to give him the wrong impression by doing with him as a date/dancing with him, as he is really sweet and I wouldn't want to lead him on or hurt him. I think he has the intention of possibly asking me out, as he has been leading up to this for a while, although I have done my best to make it clear in the nicest way possible that I just want to be friends.

Do you think that I should just be honest and come out to him, even though that would make me really uncomfortable?

Thanks,

Islander

2. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should go with him but tell him that it is just as friends.
    Also, you should tell him that you are not looking for a relationship for the moment and need some time for yourself.. That way, you won't have to come out to him and it won't be rude!

I hope everything will be fine!
    Have a great prom :slight_smile:

3. Islander

Yeah, that's a good idea. I just don't want to get his hopes up!

4. I wouldn't come out to him. He might end up telling everyone.

5. ahundredpennies

If he respects your decision that you only want to go as friends he shouldn't get his hopes up.

6. smokey-knows-all

just tell him no

7. memyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    idk about going to prom with him. Wouldn't that be super awkward? He must like you if he is going to ask you to prom. He'd be thinking the whole time "I'm on a date with a girl, yey!" and you'd be thinking "I wish I was on a date with a girl...".

Probably politely telling him no would be simplest. Maybe go to prom with all your friends and if he asks, just say you don't want to take a date to prom. if he asks why, just say you're not interested in dating anyone at the moment, or you just want to go with friends. Something like that.

8. doors

You should go with him as friends. If you say no, he may end up not having a date, and some people can get depressed about that.

9. chrisV

i would really just come out to him. you can still go as a couple without actually dating. my lesbian friend took me, because she wanted to have somebody with her.

10. Islander

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice. The thing is, it's not exactly a 'date' sort of prom. I think that most people who have dates are actually going out with each other. The majority of my friends don't have boyfriends, and they are not even going with male friends to the prom, they're just going as a group of girls which I was planning on doing as well.

So that's the sort of situation that I'm dealing with here, and why I think that asking me to prom may be a step towards asking me out. Also, he may not actually ask me as a date (given the not-really-a-date-sort-of-event situation), but still ask to dance, which I would still find extremely awkward. What should I say in response to a dance? Btw, I have no idea how to dance at these sort of events, particularly in 4inch heels (which for me is quite high) haha.

Thanks,

Islander

11. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In that case, maybe you should tell him that you already told your girl friends that you were going to prom with them as a group, since they don't have boyfriends/dates.

Also tell him that if you weren't already going with them, you'd probably accepted his invitation (or something like that) so that he don't feel bad and rejected.

If he asks you to dance just tell him that you're a bad dancer haha