1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out while friend was away...now he's back.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Robin, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Robin

So I have this friend who was like a brother to me when I was young. He went off to college and during that time I came out to everyone. The problem is that he has now come back from college and we're hanging out a lot. This wouldn't be a problem normally, but I have a feeling that he doesn't know I'm gay. Considering this guy is REALLY straight, I'm stumped on how to come out to him. Text message? Personally? I have to ask, because I'm afraid that my worst fears will come true. So, any suggestions?

P.S. I have no interest in dating this guy. He's a friend, not a crush.

2. Amerigo

perhaps come out casually? say, only if he asks or the subject comes up. you say, after all, it shouldn't impact your relationship with this friend. i made a thread along these lines :grin: some helpful experiences there

3. Just tell him and mention that you wanted to make sure he found out. It may be comforting to him to hear that you are not interested in him other than friends. If you don't make a big deal out of it, he probably won't either.

4. Dins3label

^

Along those lines, that's what I told my straight friends. And when I told them I wasn't only saw them as friends they quickly told me they weren't scared, but I'm sure it's comforting for them to hear.

If he's your friend, it won't change anything. But tell him in person for sure!

5. BornInTexas

I second what Hawaiian said about mentioning you want to make sure he found out.

The way you come out is entirely up to you. I prefer to do mine through a text message only because while I am writing it out, I can think and proofread it all before I send it.

6. smokey-knows-all

however you feel most comfortable. if he's been your friend for that long he will understand

7. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Whatever makes you most comfortable.

8. ioden

By "REALLY straight" you mean homophobic? Mmm, I think it's better if you tell him face to face, since he's your best friend and he deserves to be told of such things directly. If you don't speak of such deep issues face to face, it's better to do though chat or text message. But, if he's homophobic (I hope I'm wrong), then do it in a way that you keep physically safe.