1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hacked off at my sister.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pirateninja, Apr 25, 2008.

1. pirateninja

Bloody sister.

Last night, I forget how it started. But she dropped in to the convo "Why don't you wear normal clothes?"

So I'll just post how it went from then on.

"So what do you define as normal?"
    "Y'know, skirts and stuff."
    "And why aren't t-shirts and jeans classed as normal?"
    "Because they're not girly."
    "But what if I feel comfortable in them?"
    "I reckon you'd make a great TeenQueen."
    "TeenQueen? What the hell..?"
    "If you just put a bit of make-up on, did your hair nice, maybe put on some nicer clothes..."
    "I've told you before, I don't want to wear that stuff."
    "But it would look good on you."
    "Does it matter?"
    "Uhhhhh.... yes."
    "I prefer to wear what I want to wear, thanks."
    "But you look.... weird. Why can't you just wear something different?"
    "Maybe because I care more about my own comfort than other people's opinions."
    "That's stupid."
    "No it's not. What if I told you that you'd look good as a Goth, with loads of black eye makeup and lipstick and a big long trenchcoat, would you wear them?"
    "God no!"
    "Do you see my point yet?"
    "No. Why can't you just do as I say just once?"
    "Because you don't control me, and I wouldn't be happy wearing the stuff you wear."
    "Jesus Christ, I try to give you some tips on how to look nice and you turn it into a goddamn lecture."
    "I'm just trying to get you to get off my back about this."
    "Yeah well it's embarrassing having you as my sister when you look like that. Someone even asked me if you were my brother. I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to say back."

At that point I walked out the room.

Any advice on what I shoud say to her in future? She has brought this subject up plenty of times before and it just pisses me off.

2. Louise

Sounds to me like she is doing it to piss you off. Rise above it... ha easy to say I see you think! No it is not easy but having this kind of conversation with your sister on a regular basis is going nowhere and hurting you in the process.

I would (coz that how I am) go down the sarcastic or ironic lane in your shoes. Like.... Ooooh and can I put flowers in my hair and wear frilly blouses too, would that make you happy. *says that in a girly fashon whilst dansing round the room*

At the end of the day though you really need to ignore what your sister says, she is only being spitefull and hurtfull for whatever reasons are going through her immature brain at the moment.

If this is really upsetting you then maybe you need to talk to your mum and get her to talk to your sister about acceptance and loving people for who they are and not the bits of material that they carry on their backs!

You are who you are, warts and all (like us all), your clothes are part of who you are and your sister needs to grow up a bit and see you for the person you are and stop being so shallow. As for being asked if you were her brother, she should learn some family loyalty and should have soundly slapped that person in the face for being so rude (metaphorically of course).

3. Vampyrecat

I agree with Louise.
    She's doing this to annoy you and gain control over you. Your clothes are not as important as your self comfort. If your comfortable with who you are then really your clothes and appearance shouldn't matter.

Try to rise above it. If she really annoys you then maybe you could go to your mum? Maybe she'd help.

And Louise is also right about how your sister should have shown loyalty to you. You're her sister, not some random on the street. I bet you'd be a great sister to her and stand up for her anytime. So talk to her and make her understand that you want the same from her.

Also, seeya tomorrow :grin:

4. pirateninja

Thanks for the replies. :grin:

It's not technically upsetting me about the clothes. I couldn't care less about what she thinks of what I wear. But I think she resents me wearing masculine clothes, because she thinks it's me "asserting my sexuality", so to speak. She tries to act like she just "cares about my appearance", but I highly doubt that. She couldn't care less about anything else about me. The only thing I can guess is that she'd rather I acted and dressed more feminine to please those around her who "think I'm her brother". She's the sort of person who would rather ask me to change how I looked if someone questioned it rather than slap them. She'll do just about anything to fit in and be popular.

5. Tim

Tim

Wow, NEVER Hack off a part of your sister or EC brother :3! lol, Jokes aside, not much else I can say that Louise didn't >_<

6. Helen

Helen Guest

Oh, my school's full of people who try to fit in and be 'popular', and a girl isn't a girl unless she has long straightened blonde hair and wears miniskirts and pink stuff. You can imagine the reactions I got from that lot when I cut most of my hair off, and walked around in jeans and t-shirts. No offence, but I think you should talk to your sister, not just about the way she asks you to change your appearance, but about her whole attitude in general. She has actually said, to your face, that you embarrass her because of how you look. And as for:
    That's just ridiculous, sorry. Make her aware that one shouldn't just strive to be the same as everybody else, otherwise she's never going to accept it. As you're her sister, her closest biological relative, she should listen to you, and if she doesn't, maybe even talk to your parents about this.