1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very confused guy in need of advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GuyYouJustMet, Jun 20, 2013.

1. GuyYouJustMet

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello there. I stumbled across this forum and felt its just what I need. Ill start with some background, as it may help understand why I've been the way I am. I come from a christian family who are accepting of homosexuality, but when religion is brought up they act quite differently about the subject.. I brought it up to my mother one day, trying to talk to her, and she brushed off the possibility of me being gay as if I was joking, ensuring my I couldnt be gay....

Now to me. I thought I was straight as an arrow for a while.. Then I thought maybe I was bi.. Then a straight guy whos adventurous in bed I guess. But for a while now I've had thoughts about guys on a semi regular basis. As of late I've been conflicted, internally confused as to whether Im gay or not. The thing is, I've been with a few guys physically when I was younger, but nothing romantic.. I blew it off as experimenting and left it at that. Ive been in two serious relationships over the past 10 years with females. And the thing is, I love my girlfriend, but then again... I feel like maybe I dont even know what love truly is because Ive been with the wrong gender. Maybe what I feel towards these girls is true friendship to the point of love, with sexuality added to the mix due to what I feel my family and society expect me to do. Ive always needed a girlfriend, as a sort of validation, I guess. When I really think about it. Ive always felt outcast, depressed and just negative about myself. Looks, sound, personality, everything... And any time anyones accused me of being gay, Ive gotten very angry about it, though the reasoning is conflicting.

Now I started this new job and met a guy. Hes really cool, funny, a bit of a dork, and JUST LIKE ME... Ive always been the sweet guy people wonder about... Showing that I care too much, which makes me "less of a man" in many of my friends eyes... But Ive been talking to this guy for weeks now, and Ive found myself drawn to him, intrigued by him... And then I found out hes gay.. Ever since then, Ive been questioning myself more. I sit there and listen to more feminine music and my automatic response is that of disgust, the way guys act about girly music.. But then I feel this twinge deep down like I want to sing along and just let my emotions explode out of me.. But I feel like Ive shoved who I actually am deep down and replaced it with a shell of what society expects me to be. Im incredibly confused about who I am right now, and I dont want to go through more of my life feeling like Id rather kill myself than continue feeling like Im not who Im supposed to be.

Now dont give me a lecture about depression, Ive suffered from it since I can remember but have never and would never hurt myself. Its just a true thought that enters my mind every now and then. But the other day, I was walking with my gf, talking about this guy Ive become good friends with, about how hes gay... And a thought crossed my mind. It was like a moment of realization that Im gay. And it was the happiest Ive felt, for that minute or two, in years... just this wave of happiness washed over me.. Since then its faded due to my confusion... I dont know what to do. Ive been with this girl for years. I dont know if I should end it and try to find myself or what. I feel like in order to know if Im straight or not, I need to be with other men. I dont mean sexually, I just mean I feel maybe I need to spend time with gay men, see how I feel...

I dont know. Im completely rambling at this point. To anyone who read this, thank you. Any feedback would help. I just want to be able to be true to myself. Please dont judge.

2. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, welcome! :smilewave I hope some of us here can help you find what you're looking for.

With regard to your entire post, let's get one thing clear: You don't have to be anybody other than yourself! If you like guys, that's great, but that one area of your life doesn't have to affect the rest of your personality! It doesn't make you any less of a man, you don't have to be feminine, and you can listen to whatever kind of music you want! A transition in your sexuality won't make you a different person.

What about the relationship you're in now? Other than worrying about orientation, are you happy? Because being unsure about a relationship is one thing, but being unhappy is another. It's ok to worry a bit, but if it's driving you insane, you should consider doing what you need to do to make yourself happy, even if that means breaking it off. But don't take making that decision lightly! You'll have to do some soul searching, and that's really hard to do, especially if you're afraid of the answers you might find. In the end, you know yourself better than anyone else, so only you can make life-changing decisions for yourself.

Same goes for discovering who you like, as far as your orientation goes. You can't make it what you want it to be, but you can get to know yourself better and find out what kind of people you're more attracted to! Just remember that one incident of attraction doesn't necessarily define your orientation. You might be attracted to that one guy, and that's all! At this stage, the details of your situation (who you're attracted to, who you're not) are far more important than labels!

You don't necessarily have to spend time with gay guys to figure out whether or not you're gay. Gay individuals are just as varied as the rest of society. You'll find gays who are masculine, feminine, happy, sad, dominant, submissive, and any other adjective you could use to describe a person. Again (because it's important) you don't have to change yourself to be gay, nor do you have to find a label right away! Take your time. It'll be ok. :slight_smile:

Finally, I'm not gonna lecture you on depression, but I will say this: No situation, emotion, or event is worth you being unhappy or distressed (especially if it's to the point that you'd hurt yourself!).

I think that's all I can say here. I hope you find what makes you happy, and you find what you need! (*hug*)

3. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Checks username to make sure he's right*
    Yep, I'm right. I didn't post this thread. It just looks kind of like I did... good.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us and get it off your chest. I can closely relate to a great deal of what you wrote. I never got involved with any of the girls I had emotional feelings for though, because I always felt like there was a lot holding me back, and not just my depression and massive anxiety issues.

One thing I've realized recently is that one of my biggest anxieties is internalized homophobia. I'm not afraid of other people being gay, but I've always been terrified that I might be. Well, after researching and soul searching, I came to the realization that I am in fact gay (or bi and leaning towards gay). I remember first sharing it with a friend face-to-face, and I certainly remember telling my mom almost a week ago.

When I first told myself "I'm gay" and when I told other people I'm gay, I felt this amazing, amazing feeling. It's something I haven't quite felt before: full and total self-acceptance. Like, I was allowing myself to become the object of my biggest fear, and by admitting that I was, the fear drifted away.

Of course, I'm still questioning myself at times, and often when I do I start to feel awful about having come out as gay and start telling myself it's a phase or something. It's not a phase though, I've had these feelings since I was a kid, whether I noticed them or believed them or not.

Advice to you? If it feels great to tell yourself you're gay, then do it! Keep doing it. If you really have been in denial and self-hatred all this time, now is the time to start healing. Allow yourself to emotionally explode. It's a heck of a lot better than keeping it pent-up inside you. I know the feeling all too well. Music, of course, is not a factor in sexuality really, but if you've been feeling bad about what you like to listen to, then allow yourself to listen to it now. Listen to it, clear your mind as best you can, and go with it.

I recently took all the most feminine-sounding music (the stuff I was afraid to listen to) into one playlist and have been listening to it a lot. It's like... I'm free. I don't have to worry what people think of my actions. If you think I'm gay, well guess what? I've already told you I am, lol. If you have a problem with me now, then you have a problem with gay people in general.

It's a tough journey, but it starts with accepting and loving yourself for who you are, regardless of what your sexuality is. As for religion, coming out as gay actually has helped me feel closer in my faith than I was before doing it. If I'm to believe that God did in fact make me and that I can't choose whether I'm gay or not, then aren't I kind of dishonoring what he gave me by not loving it? Won't I be at constant odds with myself if I don't love myself? There's no way that's healthy.

Also, perhaps your mom is in denial about you, and that's why she's brushing it off? Perhaps she's really surprised and wasn't expecting it? All I know is that it takes people time to process emotion, so hopefully she'll come to a place where she'll accept you no matter what way you are going to have to live your life to be happy.

So yes, best wishes to you. Hugs! :slight_smile:

4. GuyYouJustMet

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @JB, thank you for the welcome and the advice. Concerning the relationship I'm in, I am happy. There are times when I'm not, and I actually wasn't for about a year or so... But its like once she realized it she changed and is truly trying.... I couldnt break that off without a lot of thought. Its been four years that we've been together. Im a bit scared that I've been in denial all this time, and the last thing I'd ever want to do to this wonderful girl is break her beautiful heart. And about the music, I was just using it as an example. I mean, if you met me I'd come across as this closed shy guy, when in reality I'm bursting with emotion and have issues really being myself..

And I understand being around gay men isnt necessary, but Idk it'd be nice to not be mocked for being myself and Im not sure Ive ever been able to around the friends I have.

@Millhouse, just wow... Just.. wow. I read what you wrote and it stirred quite a bit of emotion. When you talked about that feeling... Thats exactly how I felt. I felt different than Ive ever felt in my life. I had this surge of pure glee come over me- this coming from a guy who wakes up and thinks "oh great, another day" pretty much.... Im starting to feel like my angst, self hatred and depression has stemmed from me refusing to let my truly be myself. When I read what you wrote, it made me cry. I can definitely relate to you.

Thank you both. I just hope I can figure this all out. I've lived so much of my life feeling wrong, I hope I can change that.

5. Milhouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are quite welcome there. It is always great to meet fellow, very similar travelers on the road of life. :slight_smile:

I've had my fair share of emotional neglect and feeling lost and isolated growing up, so I was never really in touch with my feelings. I'm trying to discover what those feelings finally are now as an adult. It's not easy.

I'm glad my words could help. :slight_smile: