1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends and waiting to tell family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LilBlueLC, Jun 20, 2013.

1. LilBlueLC

Hello EC!
    I want to tell more of my friends at school about me being gay.. but I think I want to wait until I am out of the house before telling any family. I am afraid it will somehow get back to my parents. I have no idea if they would accepting.
    I'm pretty sure my friends will be accepting. I would just like to be more open about who I like at school. I will be a 10th grade sophmore this school year, if that helps any.

I was wondering what all of you think about coming out to friends only and waiting a few years to tell family. Have any of you done this? I would love to hear (well uh.. read) about anybody else's experiences! Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

2. Samael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello LilBlue!
    Each person decides how and when to come out. Congratulations on making the decision to do it, since it is a big step for each one of us. Personally, I was gradually coming out. First with my closest friends, then with other people and finally to my family. Even so, I first told my sister, who was not very surprised. It was hard for me to tell my parents, because above all stands our fear of being rejected, but, in fact, my parents took it much better than I had expected.
    My only advice is: do things the way you think is best, but do not wait for a long time to tell your parents. Regardless of parental acceptance, comes our acceptance for ourselves and what we are. Acceptance of our parents belong to themselves, so it's a matter of time.

Good Luck and have a nice day!

3. LilBlueLC

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad your family took it well.

4. earthlvr510

Thats the way that i handled it in highschool. I was completely out at school for a few years untill telling my pareants my junior year. Even ahd my girlfriend over without them knowing who it was. I felt that it help to get more comfertable with it and live it for a bit before telling them. (just to clarify this was when i identified as a lesbian, not trans*)

5. LilBlueLC

Alright thanks for replying! I will probably do something similar to what you did and come out to more friends at school and wait a while before telling family. I'm closer to my friends than any of my family anyway.