1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I tell my parents...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mikuo, Jun 21, 2013.

1. mikuo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eh, well, hello.

So I really wonder how and if I should come out to my parents. First of all, I am 15 and I've known pretty much all my life I am gay. All of my friends know that I am, and they have been really supportive since I told them this February. I have planned to tell my parents for many months now, but I have no idea how to do it. I thought about a cake saying "Congrats for no grandchildren" :wink:. I think my mom will be very supportive, as she has several gay colleagues. I'm not too sure with my dad though, he avoids the topic "gay" under all circumstances. I'd be really happy for some advise :slight_smile:.

Thanks so much.

2. KnownSecret

I would take it slow, get to know your parents thoughts on the subject. Try and bring it up every so often. Other then that I would just sit your mom down and tell her, after you have told your mom you and her can get a plan down to tell your dad. Your mom should be really helpful in making a plan to tell your dad because she knows your dad better then you. Maybe after telling your mom you can ask her how your dad thinks about gay people? She should know! Good luck! Hopefully everything rides out smoothly!

~Zack~

3. mikuo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks so much for your advise, Zack. I really appreciate it! :grin:

4. Waffles

"Mom Dad I got a girl pregnant... *silence* Just kidding. That would never happen because I'm gay. *posh laughter*"

... in all seriousness, what Zack said pretty much sums up my thoughts. Feel around and see where they stand on the subject. Even if you tell your mom first and have her tell your dad if you feel too awkward. That way, he knows and if he has any questions or wants to talk about it he can approach you. Best of luck, kiddo!

-Waffles

5. BabyKoalas

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't come out until I was 21, and then after I'd done it, I really wished I'd come out sooner. In terms of how you come out to them, I know a lot of people say you should do it face to face and blah blah. But really, as long as the end goal of them actually knowing is achieved, I don't think it matters too much.

I came out to my friends about a year before I told my family. And the day I told my family, it was the day my exams finished, I text my sister to tell her I'm a lesbian. Then, once I'd spent about half an hour convincing her someone hadn't stolen my phone and was messing around, I asked her to tell mum and dad for me (I lived away from home at uni, at the time). Then went out that night and got super drunk. I'm not at all saying this is the way forward haha it sounds pretty dumb, I'm sure. But it worked for me as I hate awkward conversations and confrontation.

So just do whatever feels easiest and less awkward for you.

My gay guy friend told his mum by saying the following (This is legitimately what he said): "Mum, girls don't give me erections". That worked for him too.

x x x