1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overbearing parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by arcuied, Jun 21, 2013.

1. arcuied

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi there, i was curious if anyone had advise to give about parents who just keep trying to tell you what you should be and all that jazz, the situation is I'm a MtF transgender i want to start transitioning but my parents especially my mom. What she says a lot of the time that you don't have to transition all the way you can stay male, you can get medication, "god wouldn't of put a woman in a mans body. To get to the point its nice that shes concerned for my well being but the way she pushes this down my throat is a bit toxic, so i was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to handle parents like these. I really appreciate the input and thanks for reading.

2. Islander

Hi arcuied,

In the end, it is your choice whether or not you want to transition and your parents can't stop you either way. You say that it's nice that she's concerned, which suggests that she loves you. If you go ahead and transition, it will be hard on her at first and her nagging may become more persistent, but eventually she has to realise that her nagging isn't going to make a difference, and she will stop. Gradually she should come to accept that you really are a woman trapped in a man's body and (obviously I can't say for sure, because I don't know her) may even change her beliefs.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of it is her being in denial. Having a trans child is harder for many parents than having a gay child. I think the best thing you can do is gentle persistence, just let her know that you understand her views, but that's not appropriate or workable for you. And I'd try and get her to a PFLAG meeting... go with her a couple of times, and I think if she's around other parents in the same situation, it will be easier for her to accept. 

4. arcuied

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks for the input, its just frustrating listening to it day in and day out.... lol, but yea ill try what you guys suggested thanks again :grin: