1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm such a liar.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by FindingMyself, Jun 22, 2013.

1. FindingMyself

For over two years my mother has been aware of my attraction to women. I didn't label for a while. A couple of weeks ago, after I'd had time to think it over, I told her I am indeed homosexual. My dad, however, doesn't know a thing, and she's feeling rather guilty for keeping it from him and her guilt is transferring onto me. I know I'm going to let her tell him soon, and I've decided I don't want to hear anything from him about it-no big confrontation is necessary. I don't want to compare Shakira to Aguilera with him.

The question is, would it be evil of me to have her tell him when I'm in Texas? Or should I let her tell him before? We all live under one roof and their marriage is swell. Additionally, he's the most liberal, accepting person in my family besides me so it won't provoke a reaction that would cause trouble. I'm just sort of stuck.

2. Plutanan

I think he would appreciate you telling him, but if she's burning with the secret then maybe it's just time. With him being accepting, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

But let me say that I'm still closeted and haven't had any coming out experience (though I plan on soon). I think it's just about timing and when you're comfortable and with what method you're comfortable in using to tell him.

3. FindingMyself

I know it'll be soon and I know that unless I crack and go crazy, I won't tell him. It's almost a non issue. I just don't want him to find out secondhand without intention, like by my mom or me slipping up, so it will be soon.

I wish you luck coming out. I ordered two pride 2013 shirts, one a little more discreetly gay than the other and I plan on wearing them to school when it starts back up again just to be up front with everyone. I'm tired of guys hitting on me and maybe if I out myself it won't be as hard to explain to each individual that I'm not on the market for a guy. How do you think people will take your coming out?