1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to come out??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blue123, Jun 23, 2013.

1. blue123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi :icon_bigg

I have accepted myself about 90 percent that im a lesbian, so I do feel ready to come out but do I really need to? I mean the whole process of coming out is so stressful and I really don't need any more stress on top of depression. I do want to come out but im too scared to.

Should I come out when im in a relationship with a girl so that I don't have to put the stress on me at the moment? Or would I get stressed out anyway because I would have to wait till I get a girlfriend which might be a while ???

Or I could just wait till national coming out day but that might be too much of a wait too :help:

2. Philip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who are you out to, if I may ask?

3. biggayguy

You don't have to, dear. It just feels so much freer out of the closet. For me, the stress of fearing being outed was more than actually coming out. YMMV

4. blue123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Im out to one close friend but I wanted to come out to another friend and my mum

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2013 at 07:35 PM ----------

Ok thanks for the reply, I guess if I come out I will feel happier as I don't have to hide who I am

5. Candace

You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

Why do you feel a need to come out, may I ask?

6. Envira

Don't feel pressured to come out. You'll find the need later on. If you do feel the need to come out, as in, you don't think you can survive one more day without telling someone else, then by all means go ahead. It feels so liberating to be out, even if it's just to a few people. Wait until you're ready, but eventually, you should definitely come out. A lifelong secret is more stressful than coming out.

7. william123

Bulls-eye. When I was "in" I used to fear at every corner that the topic would come up or that someone would target me and try to pull me out of my closet. Now that I'm out (as of last Tuesday) I do feel extremely free (but a little unsettled too, because I came out very publically on Facebook, but I still stand by that decision, heh).

8. Candace

This is gold.