1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by william123, Jun 23, 2013.

1. william123

Hi everyone.

I didn't know if this was covered in a prior thread so if it is I apologize. I just wanted to share with you my story which takes place last week at around Tuesday. I finally got sick of all the mental struggling and turmoil that resulted from being in the closet, and I came out publically on Facebook (well, I sent my family an e-mail so they would officially 'know' first).

My message was simple: I'm gay.

I figured this would be the fastest and most efficient way to accomplish my goal. And it was. I can honestly say it did the trick, but not without a little bit of nervousness, as I pour over in my mind the discussions and likely responses of my almost 400 FB friends upon reading my status update.

I'm hoping as time goes on my stomach will settle some. I am already less nervous than I was the day after posting it (that day I was running on pure adrenaline). But it's good. I'm glad I finally got it out in the open. Any comments or guidance or helpful wisdom from you guys would be appreciated! Thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Envira

Good for you!

Just a word of advice:

I would tell your family and close friends that they can talk to you about it and ask any questions. You should be open to conversation, and not avoid it. That just makes everything more awkward for everyone. And don't dwell on those who don't take your news too well. They're naive and cruel. They're not worth your anger. Ignore them and move on. But be prepared for people who disagree. There might be some like that. But they're not worth your time at all, and even though their comments might be hurtful, you have to look on the bright side and remember all the people who support you and love you.

3. william123

Thank you that was very sage advice. And I appreciate you congratulating me! I really feel like a weight has been lifted but as I said I'm a little unsettled because of this, and I just want to crawl into bed and bury myself in the covers for the next few weeks. Mainly because I'm still sorting some of this stuff out in my head. What it means to be gay, etc. My family is not the most understanding so there has been some stress at home (I live with them).

Just an aside, on my actual status update I got 11 likes, and 7 or 8 comments (I forget) congratulating me and being supportive. So that was nice.

4. Candace

I think FB is a great option, since you can avoid all the drama and stuff. Tell your close family and friends first so they can be there for support. Best of luck to you :slight_smile:

5. yidnah87

Congratulations! Glad to hear it's going well!

I came out on Facebook myself a couple months ago by utilizing the 'interested in' feature, clicking 'men and women'. I set it up to where it did not post on the news feed, as I felt that would be too 'loud'. Additionally, I exempted family members (for now) and a few others from being able to see it. I'm probably out to about 95% of my Facebook friends.

6. william123

That's great to hear yidnah87! I'm glad it worked well for you as well.

I am very relieved that it worked out, and my life has gotten exponentially better since coming out (and it's only been under a week!). But yeah, I still have some work to do with my family. Someone suggested PFLAG meetings (I don't know if you know what those are). So I was thinking of trying to attend some of those.

7. sexyalex

I'm sorry? *chuckles*
    Did you just say, avoid drama? Like seriously? Have you not WATCHED the facebook movie?
    Facebook IS Drama.

Facebook knows more drama than TNT!:roflmao:

Personally, if you asked for advice before posting u came out on FB, i'd tell you NOT to. Facebook ruins lives. Simple. May seem blissful today, but just give it a few weeks-- Months, if you're lucky.

8. coming out

coming out Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That was a big move on your part,one that I would not recommended. It should be only on a need to know bases. Hopefully you can now be open to your family and friends.

9. biggayguy

You're pretty courageous! Proclaiming your sexuality on Facebook like that. My friends just sort of figured it out. Some of my Facebook groups are gay-related and some of my friends are rather flamboyant. I also got into a heated public discussion with a conservative person I knew from high school on gay marriage. Now, it's none of their business unless they ask me nicely.

"You gotta' ask me nicely, Danny." Col. Jessup -- A Few Good Men

10. Candace

as opposed to having them not hit you and yell at you in person?? :dry:

11. Facebook is a great place to come out to people without seeing the look on their faces if the reaction is bad. Plus, you can come out to people in so many ways.