1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The root of my issues, from the beginning

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Jan 14, 2007.

1. tired_of_lying411

I'm back again, with matters less trivial than scarves, but definitely in the same vein.

You see, I have always struggled with self-confidence.. Well, not always.

When I was young, I was quite carefree. I was ALWAYS the center of attention, and loved it. I was the lead in plays, a big gossip, and played with Barbies. I was really crazy and comfortable with it, until I started to learn shame. In the 4th grade, my family moved, I was just turning ten. With the move, I began to notice things differently, the kids at my new school were different, and automatically started asking me the gay question. (aren't 9 year olds harsh!)

All this, sub-consciously, brought up old memories I have about this sexual experience I had when I was really young... I think I was 4 or 5. Our neighbors had this kid named Chad. He was kind of bad (compared to me, at least) and our families didn't really like each other, but for some reason, I hung around him. I even remember telling my mom that I didn't really liked him, that I just played with him because he wanted to and I didn't want to be mean. I remember wanting to not want to play with him. And that probably made it that much more fun.

Anyway, one day, we ended up in this old tent my dad had set up in the back yard. We were young, and curious, and ended up naked, tumbling around the tent, experiencing each other's bodies. Obviously nothing was purposefully sexual, but it was a big deal. Anyway, amidst our giggling, my dad found us. He was mortified, I remember yelling, and this deep, terrible shame, washing over me.

I remember sneaking into my room and crying. My parents came in and talked to me, I cried so hard. The conversation went on forever, and I think a lot of it was me, punishing myself.

Anyway, there was a huge falling out between the two households, and my parents made us all have a big meeting (all in the same day as 'the tent episode'). I don't remember anything from that meeting, other than Chad telling me he hated my family for ratting him out, as they would never have known, otherwise.

That day, I think, really messed me up. I know I was completely embarrassed for the rest of the week. And to this day, whenever I think of that day, I get this horrible feeling of shame. And I think that a lot of my self confidence issues are derived form that. I think that even if I were straight, I wouldn't be having sex yet. Partly because I'm not in the shape I want to be, yet, and partly because I feel a deep sense of oppression from that day, I think. It's so true, what they say, how you can't love anyone else until you love yourself.

I guess, when I think of coming out to my father, I think of all the things he must have thought about me over the years. I think that my KNOWING he already senses I am gay, is the one thing that's actually keeping me from telling him, because it means he has thought I was gay, and for some reason, I can't handle that.

Lastly, I think that I have begun to associate shame with sexuality, and indirectly, my feeling comfortable to dress a little 'gayer', because it's like I'm officially acknowledging my being gay, and so, being someone who thinks about sex. Even things like my playing with dolls became a MAJOR issue of shame for me, even before moving. I'd just ALWAYS known it was 'wrong', even though my parents never let on that it bothered them. And maybe the scarf issues come more from that, as I see them as both being gay things, and so they trigger fear and shame of anyone finding out that I play with/ use/do... these 'gay things'.

These issues all seem so normal, but I think I may actually be on the right path here, as far as figuring out... me, and how I'm going to deal with me, even if I haven't managed to get it out into words very well... this time.

Anyway, I don't want to let this get any longer, for fear it's all just a big waste, but it's served it's purpose to me, I have begun to think about this aspect of my life as a possible cause for some of my issues. Any response would just be a bonus.

2. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

Self-Confidence is a funny thing. I think we've already covered the subject of a counselor/therapist...did anything come of that? They work wonders. As bad as it may sound, if that specific memory causes you to feel like crap, begin blocking it out of your mind. I have several memories that do this to me as well, and I've been able to slowly make it to where they don't come up quite as often, but that isn't a permanent fix. What needs to be done is making yourself comfortable with your sexuality, with that specific memory being a catalyst for it. I'm the same way in that I feel uncomfortable with people knowing that I'm gay. It's an issue I'm struggling with. It seems that might be part of your problem as well. All I can say is try to pursue the counselor or therapist. If not, talk with one of your good friends. Just talking about it can make all the difference.

3. Micah

For me, confidence in my sexuality was something I never thought I would achieve. It's funny because when I was around your age (even though age has little to do with it), I was so ashamed of every gay aspect of my life that I did everything I could to hide it. It was bad enough that *I* knew I was gay...let alone everyone else.

Looking back now its weird to think I had that mentality - and that I once lacked the confidence to become who I am today. I suppose what helped me to overcome my insecurities was immersing myself with other people "like me".

I suppose the turning point for me was when I met this guy at school who turned out to be gay (although how I found out was totally a freak of chance). We then went to the Melbourne underage gay- "dance-party" (underage club) which is hosted each school holidays. When I went to the club I just stopped for a moment. I couldn't believe that the room was filled with people just like me.

After the club the guy from my school and I became best friends. We supported each other, hung out, did the sleep over thing...but most importantly we gave each other the constant reassurance that who we are isn't a bad thing.

So while it's easier said than done (and not always possible) - try and meet more gay people. Seek out any gay community groups in your area and check them out. Don't be shy - they know exactly what you're going through. As cliché as this sounds...having a gay best friend changed my life.

4. nick79

I totally felt like that a few weeks ago.

What is working for me is convincing myself that:

all of the *gay* stuff we do is natural (just like straight kids naturally don't do this stuff)

having a relationship with a guy is healthier for us (than being in an unfulfilling relationship with a woman)

and being yourself is a beautiful thing

So: being gay is natural, healthy and beautiful for us. Who'd be ashamed of that! And why wouldn't you want to come-out!

Maybe it'll help you too.... Nick

5. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Ah, self confidence issues...those suck.

I guess, like Dave said, find other gay people, or at least a REALLY good friend who knows, and begin to build up your self confidence with them. Just start with small things like wearing your scarf over to his/her house, and then work your way up from there. I know that for me, going shopping and going places with my best friend really helped me find confidence in my sexuality. It did start off feeling a little odd, but then it began to feel good, and then, just natural.

As for the memory, try not to dwell on it too much. Just remind yourself that that one instance really has nothing to do with who you are now, and really try not to think about it. This might be more easily said than done, since I am the king of suppressing emotions/memories, but try. Not thinking about it will give you room to grow in your sexuality, so when the time comes when you can't suppress it anymore, you'll be confident enough that it won't bother you as much.

6. tired_of_lying411

whoa. this is all making a lot of sense. But I'm thinking its less that I'm afraid to wear a scarf, say 'he's hot", or dress like I want, and more that I'm afraid of what might happen if I do. I'm not afraid of doing it... like if no one was to find out, I'd be fine. But the thought of other people's reactions is what scares me.

My whole life revolves around constantly thinking about what this looks like to her, or how its going to come off to so-and-so if I do that, etc.

I guess maybe I'll struggle with this until I am officially out to everyone. Because then it wont matter if I act as gay as I want, because it will be expected, or like, not a surprise. I guess I won't have a reason to be scared of anyone thinking I'm gay if I wear my scarf, because they'll already know.

And no, I am not going to come out in school. My plan is to just start telling the truth after graduation. I can wait two and a half more years.

And god won't I be happy on the day leave for university.
    It's what keeps me going, I just hope my aspirations aren't too lofty.

7. Bryan90

Before I say anything of significance, I just wanted to point out the pure English grammar practiced by tired_of_lying. Hey man... a 16 year-old (sorry if I am mistaken) actually uses "my being", "my saying", etc.

Alright, that was just me being hysterical, abject apologies.

Anyway, I can actually relate to you owing to the fact I am a Chinese studying in Canada. Hence, I am not as confident as I was before. Even when it comes to self-consciousness; a utterly new culture really did make me vainer.

Due to the aforementioned scenario, I decided not to tell anybody here regarding my deviant sexuality until I graduate and migrate to Toronto (hopefully).

I guess it call comes to one conclusion. Living in a part of society where homosexuality is not a social stigma and gays are not discriminated (the nearest to me would be Toronto), will help us develop confidence in ourselves.

Well, I'll graduate earlier than you. 7 months more and university here i come! (That is if I get into one).

8. Rain33

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Reading your post. im not trying to be mean but it seems like your lieing and leaving a lot of things out. I in a way can relate to some of the things you said. Your post seemed like you wre just kind of lagging on and making things up. I could be wrong.I also would like to know how old are you. Because im relativly young too. It really bothered me when i read when i come out to everyone i can act as gay as i want. Im just saying this because why do you have to be gay as you want just be yourself you know. You obviously do have some issues if you say that. I know that its hard growing up in a world where everything we are taught is staight. Everything around us is sculpted straight.

You shouldnt keep looking towards college. I know it seems like it will be a big change but the people will be the smae. The change needs to be in you not the people around you. Because the people around you will never change. They wont. Because ignorance is around and it always will be. You do need to learn to accept yourself.

I dont know i mean what do i know.

9. Rain33

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh and
    saying when you come out everything will change it isnt always that way

i came out in september and i found it was harder after i came out

because showing something you've been hiding so long is very hard and it takes time to get used to

and when you go to college i think it could be harder since you wont have alot of the people you love and trust

10. tired_of_lying411

Okay, to start off, when I originally replied to this thread, I completely missed Qu and Dave's posts, so:

The therapist thing will probably never happen while I'm living at home. I just know I could never talk my parents in to it, and I'd have to come out to my dad first, it's just unlikely.

As far as finding gay friends... I'd LOVE that... like more than anything, but I live in a rural community, theres 300 kids in my school (grades 9-12) and I'm about 3 hours away from any kind of gay organization. There are a few "token gay" kids at my school, none of which I would really hang with, simply because they're so flamboyant. It's just not for me. Although today, I heard a rumor that this cute guy in my grade (who we ALL assumed was straight) may be gay... I'm not sure I believe it, though. Sadly, he moved away last year, but it gives me hope. Perhaps I'll find a gay guy to be friends with...

On to the new posts.

Thanks for comment, Bryan! I'm definitely looking forward to university. I'll be moving to Halifax, which will be a nice change from the rural Annapolis Valley.

Rain....
    I assure you, I am not making any of this up. Simply rediscovering it in myself.

{edit} Forgot to mention-- I am sixteen.

When I said I would be able to act as gay as I wanted to... I meant that I would be able to do the things I have always wanted to do, without worrying that others will think I am gay for doing them. They will already know. I would also add that my mind would be at ease over the things I already do that could be taken as gay.

Long story short, the secret will become fact, and that will alleviate a lot of stress from my life.

So it's not that I, or what I do, wear, or say, will change, more that I will feel comfortable doing the things I already do. The worry will be gone.

I know that the people will never change, but in some ways, they will. I will be attending an art university, if all goes according to plan. This will mean a completely new set of peers. Also, I will no longer be trapped in a high school with these people any longer, who I surround myself with will be my own decision.

Lastly, when I say that everything is going to change after my coming out, it's mostly because my life will be changing. I will be graduating, moving to the city, meeting new people, finally be out of high school, and loads more. So it's more that my life will be changing on its own, not that the changes will be effects of my coming out. The coming out will just be at the same time... which is part of the reason I plan on doing it then.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

11. LorenzG1950

Hi Brenton,

Slowly but surely, you are doing a great job of analyzing what got you to 16, and your present situation. I’m not sure that a therapist could do a whole lot more than provide moral support and tell you that you’re on the right track. Keep up the good work. :eusa_clap

Overcoming shame seems like an insurmountable challenge, but it can be done. Let me mention a couple of examples to illustrate. When I was in High School, our swimming class reg. was that we had to swim in the nude (boys and girls separated of course). It was some hygiene thing, a shower before, swim naked, and shower after. That PE (Physical Education) class scared me to death the first few times. I was literally ashamed of my body, especially being naked in front of guys. That came mostly from my mom who taught me that just about anything connected with our bodies was sinful, like playing with yourself in the bathtub, or having lustful thoughts during an erection. After a few swimming classes, I noticed that everyone was self-conscious, mainly about the size of our penis. We were all quite happy to get in the water so that our genitals were less visible to gawkers and critics.

By the end of 6 weeks, nobody gave a shit about flapping cocks and balls (is this ok for under 18?). We had overcome any shame and our confidence about being in the nude grew tremendously. No pun intended. At the time, I would have been petrified if I had known that I was gay. One of the ``bigger`` fears was getting a boner in the nude, and no towel to escape behind.

More recently, I was ashamed of holding hands with my boyfriend in public, or kissing him. Silly shame!!!!! It was my fear of what other people might think. I’m not sure whether I overcame the fear or love just overcame me. My partner had no fear at all. That sure let me forget shame rather quickly. What made it easy was that I was in a gay-friendly environment (gay bar), or in a cab where I was saying goodnight to my partner, and paying the bill. I frankly didn’t care what the cab driver or my neighbors thought.

None of this helps you until you can find a gay-friendly climate, even if it means a longer ride, a camping trip, somewhere where you can be your gay self, with no restrictions or inhibitions.

That can be the company of one.

In other words, your first priority is to get a gay buddy you can talk to, and one that you can smooch and cuddle with. That’s about the best cure I can think of for shame.

Living in a smaller town or going to a school with a small population must be very frustrating, like living in the bible belt, or living with ultra-conservative, homophobic parents. We all have our crosses to bear. I work for the US Army, a conflict in terms and morals that I have yet to resolve. Brenton, you can’t wait 2.5 years and you know it.

I noticed that you moved from Nova Scotia to ``3 hours from happiness.``. If you find a friend and meet him halfway, happiness is only 90 minutes away. You’re smart enough to know how to make that happen.

To sum it up:

YOU NEED GAY FRIENDS!!!!!!!

If I’ve learned anything in the last 6 months, I just can’t play shy and wait for love to come to me. I’m no expert, but it sure helps to see the spark in someone else’s eyes, and accept yourself the way you are. Then comes that long, passionate kiss. It might be love. It might just be physical attraction, or excessive alcohol, but wow! It’s the greatest gift you can ever receive.

Three guys have given me that feeling in the last 6 months, different ages, race, nationality (OK I might be a slut). None of these relationships happened by accident. Sulking at home or sitting on a bar stool got me nowhere. There is no shame in wanting or needing love.

Last week, I overcame another fear or two. I came out to my boss, and I sang the national anthem for an audience of about 600 at a Martin Luther King celebration. I didn’t fuck it up and was rather proud of myself. Don’t know which one was the bigger challenge. It’s about jumping over my shadow. It’s what allows me to kiss my boyfriend, with all the love I have.

Yup, I’m gay. But I have nothing to be ashamed of. Each day I gain pride because I know I can do things that some straight folks would never risk.

Yeah, you have to take risks to know that you are alive, experience vulnerability, and enjoy the fruits of your success, even if it’s only a big kiss in the full view of a cab driver who has never seen two guys kissing passionately. If we hide, we prove nothing, except our shame.

Nuff said.:thumbsup:

12. tired_of_lying411

Whoa... this is so.. amazingly fun to read. I'm excited for whenever I do manage to loose my shame, but I just don't know how, right yet. I'd really love a boyfriend, but I just don't know where to get one... The selection around here is non-existent.:dry:

And I'm not sure if I really can't wait 2 and a half more years.... I mean, I've lasted this long, I could wait, I think. And it really is true, what they say, how you can;t love anyone else, before you love yourself. And right now, I'm not sure if I'm there, yet. I guess the only thing really blocking me from being confident with a boyfriend, would be a few remaining body image issues, many of which I resolved over the summer, so a summer or 2 more (when I seem to be able to make great physical gains) and I'd be set. :thumbsup:

Oh what a roller-coaster ride hahaha

OH! and I forgot...

The 3 hours away from happiness, is all to do with my distance from where I plan on living when I graduate.. It just seems that life, in general, will be amazingly better, when all that happens.

I guess it has a lot of meaning to me, right now.

13. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Wow, creepy how much you just described me...anyway!! Yeah i so basically you just quoted my thought process over the last 2 years, and i'm not exaggerating.

Well as for the body image issues, we all have 'em, maybe me and you more than other people. But alot of it, like 40% is hormonal, you could be a super sexy swimmer built Calvin Klein underwear model, and if you're fourteen, estrogen and testosterone are gauranteed to find at least something out of place.

The mindset you have to have is, you could have no muscle mass, skinny as a rake (or a little plump, whatever), a little rib-age (or bump-age) showing and all, but chances are...almost everyone, yes i said everyone, will find you hot. If they are truely interested in what you look like with clothes on, minor flaws count for nothing...and i mean that. I see plently of naked straight boys who look just like you (from what you've described in past posts) and honestly, i find them just as attractive as the jocks and all my friends agree.

I'm a little bit on the rib-y side and i hate my body but i'm slowly getting more confident as i find others who feel the same.

The near perfect body will come in time, but first you have to have that little start of self-confidence to be even able to set foot in a gym or on a treadmill for a good workout. And if it means anything at all, i wish you knew how much i can relate your situation.
    Well, i hate playing at deep roots cuz i usually get riddiculed saying i don't know what i'm talking about but let me point out the fairly obviously phenomenon thats occuring here...

When you were VERY young, the defintion of innoncence, you were emotionally pummled for doing something you felt was natural. Of course i'm referring to "the tent incident". It's no surprise that whenever you do something like play with barbies or think about wearing a simple scarf, that you second guess yourself to the point of supression.

I mean the scarf thing seems so innoncent to most, but to you it feels natural, and natural has 'always' (in your mind) meant bad news. (Am i getting warm?) Something like Barbies a bit more understandable to second guess but again something that just feels right to you, and you have to stop yourself and say well i feel like "i'm doing something wrong here", when your not.

Maybe i'm foolish or just bad with words, but my original point is in a more simple statement, because you were taken but such rude surprise at a very young age, you were programmed into worrying about what the hell others think of you and live in subconscious fear that the past might repeat itself.

I try to speak from the heart as the same thing happened to me. When i was about 10, me and this guy lets call him Nick, started fooling around every summer up camping. It went on for two years before, one day the parents came back early for the beach and walked in on Nick naked (me, clothed). Nick took all the blame, but thats besides the point. The pure shock of his mom walking in the trailor and screaming at him and i was confronted with the "G" word for the first time, so was he. I felt so guilty and dirty.

And up until this year...i was you. The nervous type, caring how people saw me so much to the point where i was so fake i nearly killed myself. But somehow, my mindset changed, and i wish i knew the secret i really do. Maybe another post i'll give it a stab, this one's too long already.

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I'm soooo sorry that post was so long....and you're probably not going to read it but i think that helped me a little bit too so, thank you. As odd as it sounds, thank you.

Oh and btw, you think the selection THERE sucks...HA!:tantrum: :lol:

15. tired_of_lying411

Wow. I needed that. No worries on the length, its hardly long, especially by my standards, as you can see above:lol: hahahaha

Anyway, your post... it defined me, you should be a social worker. I have no idea how you were able to make me process this so well.

but first:
    Oh to be rib-y hahaha:lol: I'd say my body image issues are just a little on the other side of the scale.

WOW. That is the story of my life. I do more of this in the run of a day than ANYTHING else.

YES!!!:icon_bigg it seems everything I do is in attempt to deviate from what is natural to me. Perhaps this is why I always feel so exhausted. :icon_wink

YES YES YES! it's ALWAYS running through my head. I've always been the jumpy kind. I don't take too well to "BOO!" I guess I'm always worried about what the BOO-er will find me doing.

Lets repeat that last bit:
    Ahhh. Precisely how I felt for the weeks after ... "the tent incident"

So it seems that when you throw this all in a pot, add a dash of gay, and let simmer for 12 or so years, you get me. Emotionally unstable, and ALWAYS wracked with guilt, for things as mundane as wearing the scarf that a million other straight guys wear.

I guess its not that I don't accept gayness, it hasn't bothered me, ever. It's that in the back of my mind, I have this line, telling me that "sure, its okay for some people, but when I tried it, things didn't go so well. Let's associate negative feelings toward this."

And now I don't know how to override it... Although the getting a boyfriend thing seems like it could work. :icon_smil

16. nick79

When I was your age I tried to be straight. Why? To be cool and popular.

I had to be cool, because otherwise I'd be NOTHING - or so I thought.

In my mind, I had a clear idea of what it meant to conform. And I judged everything I did, through this channel. But I had holes in my delivery.

I became paranoid that I'd be found out as uncool (gay). Later, I became such a perfectionist about this, that if I couldn't do something the right way, I wouldn't do it at all.

The result? I became boring, and I was rejected by the same cool people I was trying to fit in with. I was hurt. I lost friends. I felt inadequate. I lost face.

I thought my uncool friends were inferior to the cool friends I'd been rejected by.

Years after, I realised that I had nothing in common with my cool friends - these friendships would never have lasted. (So I didn't lose important friends)

Also, I realised that just because someone else is cool and popular doesn't mean that they're BETTER than me. And if the cool people say otherwise they're delusional. (Some of the most fun people I know are totally uncool - it just doesn't matter after school. I know that's hard to believe right now!)

Also, remember that you deserve respect and you should give respect. If you do decide to be the *natural* you someday, and (on the off chance) someone does reject you, respect their right to their opinion and respect yourself enough to let go of disrespectful people and go hang out with the friends that do respect you.

Finally, straight people can act naturally, why cant we?

-Nick

**Being gay is natural, healthy and beautiful... AND CLEAN!!!**

17. tired_of_lying411

... yeah. I get all that, thanks

I'm not saying that what I'm doing is right, just that it's what I need to do. It works for me, right now. I'm pretty sure that the friends I have are good, despite their possible delusions about my sexuality.

I know being gay is natural, I just have a lot of work to do, on me.

18. nick79

I'm sorry to post again and be a persistent bastard...

When I was in high school, one of the boys did something dumb, but he didn't get embarassed and go red in the face. He said he never gets embarassed because he doesn't regret anything he does.

Everyone does *suspect* stuff (ie tent incident) at some stage in their life, and thus you're in good company and it's not really regrettable, but normal. Don't be so hard and negative on yourself. Take all the time you need.

-Nick

19. tired_of_lying411

I was thinking about all this in the shower, and I realized/remembered that whenever a strongly gay theme arises on television, when my parents and I are watching, I am taken over by the SAME feeling I had after the tent incident (as we've come to refer to it as).

So I guess, more specifically, my issues seem to relate to my embarrassment of anything gay, when it comes to other people who are close to me being exposed to it. I get uncomfortable when the subject comes up around others... but I'm fine with it on my own...

why is this, I wonder???

Perhaps I'm just over-analyzing an ordinary situation, but I guess I just feel that I should be able to have confidence in gay things, ESPECIALLY if the surrounding people are okay with them (and I haven't been in a situation where they weren't)

anyway, just my thoughts for tonight.

20. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    The exact same thing happens to me. When a gay them arises on television and I'm watching it with my family I just pray for the scene to change or for it to go away unnoticed, so of course it never does...and then my sister (who knows) begins to give me awkward/knowing glances and if it goes on long enough my dad comments on it and I just about die there.

Same thing happens when a theme that is ever so slightly gay comes up in conversation, I notice it, feel weird and wish for it to slip away unnoticed. And then my dad obviously says something along the lines of "that's because he's GAY" and so I just smile politely and ignore it and think to myself "please drop it, please drop it, please drop it" and so of course he goes "right kids, QUEER" and my sister and I just go "haha, funny dad" and I leave the room.

So I guess what I'm ever so concisely trying to say is that it's perfectly natural and ordinary to feel awkward and embarrassed when things of that caliber come up in a family setting, especially if not everyone knows. And I really think Proud put his finger on it, it's natural to you so it's also shameful to you.