1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell them? (advice for an MTF)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Momosboy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Momosboy

My parents have been my closest confidantes for my entire life, but they are insanely homophobic. Recently, I decided I want to live my life as a girl full time, but I know my parents. They'd say I was confused, that I don't know what I'm talking about, and that I'm not their son anymore. While I'd agree to the last one (you're right. I'm not your son anymore. I'm your daughter.), they would rather I was never born than want to be a girl. I know it's true, please don't tell me it's not. I like women's clothes, I have a female name that I think works quite well, and I've been looking into getting a smoother for my... Private area. But, as long as I live with my secret desire to be a woman, I know they'll find out, and it scares me. Please, someone, anyone... HELP!!!!

2. tiny penis

Dear Momosboy :

I can totally sympathize with you, Sweetie. My mom, { my dad died twenty years
    ago } has been my closest ally, but I have always known that I was different from
    every other boy that I've known. I started to develop breasts in High School, but they were not present until I reached my thirties, I was a really late bloomer. I don't worry about my privates because they are so small, I really don't care. My other siblings
    have their own families, and constantly make jokes about me being gay, and it hurts inside. I'm not really worried about telling them, but I'm so afraid about telling my mom. I'm afraid of telling her because I'm afraid of how she'll react to my news.

I'm sick of pretending that I'm a boy, like you, I'm ready to live my life as a girl, full time. I've already got a girlfriend, and we're madly in love with each other. {she and I are both inter-sexed women, who are lesbian lovers }. God, it feels so good to have said that out loud. I am so scared that this news will kill her, or that
    she will kill me. It' about time that I came out of the "closet", I'm old enough,
    but I'm not financially ready.

3. girlunwound

Different people have different approaches to coming out. Personally, I think it all depends on what you have to lose if you tell them and they don't take it well. Personally I couldn't do so if I depended on my parents for housing and such. By the time I came out I had been on my own and had a family and career established so how they took things was really of no consequence other than emotionally. Definitely a good thing since my father especially, did not take it well.

So you need to decide how much you're willing to lose if they don't deal well with it. Lose as in, home, food and whatever else they might presently be providing for you, emotional losses aside.

As for the "I know it's true, please don't tell me it's not" part, I don't think you're going to find anyone here arguing that point with you, but there are Standards Of Care and you shouldn't jump into anything recklessly. You should see a therapist about all this and of course, it sounds like whether you can do so or not depends a lot on your parents right now, unless you're able to get a job, move out on your own and get some kind of your own insurance or government provided insurance.

4. Momosboy

Wow. *tear in eye* your name may be tiny penis, but you have a HUGE heart, sister. Om sorry to hear about your dad. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Unfortunately, I have a large private area, and it constantly grows, like a fish in a new tank. I won't change my sex until it's a total, and complete change, but I'll be a woman, anyway. Thanks again, sister!

MB