1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nearlyout, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Nearlyout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So here's the thing:

I've recently come out to all my friends and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. However, the idea of coming out to my family is worrying. I love them and although I know they will come to accept it I know that their initial reaction will be one of upset and confusion. My plan was to tell them after a lad's holiday to Zante in 4 weeks but tonight they threw me a surprise birthday party and all I wanted to do was tell them. I love them and want them to know everything about me but I'm frightened they'll react badly. What do you think. Sooner or later? Xx

2. chrisV

it depends on your situation. are they very religious, or are they more laid back? it sounds like they will be fine with it, if you just give them time to accept it. i would really just do it when you are ready.

i'm in the same situation as you, and i'm planning on texting my parents when they are away, so they can discuss it, and (hopefully) have calmed down a little bit by the time they get back.

3. biggayguy

Would you rather that your family found out from someone else or accidentally? I would vote for sooner rather than later. You could write down what you want to say to get it clearly in your mind. Then maybe have a friend present that already knows for support. Just make it a time and place of your choosing.

4. Nearlyout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Religion is not an issue. My mother and brother are the only people to tell and they are not particularly religious. On the subject of how to tell them, I have decided that I will tell them face to face. I'm not sure whether I'll tell my mother and brother separately or whether I'll tell them together. Tonight I'm feeling sooner rather than later but that may be because I'm happy and I want to share. I think that if I don't tell them in the next week I'll end up waiting until after the holiday. Xx