1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just told my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rjrh20, Jun 25, 2013.

1. rjrh20

Yesterday I wrote a letter to my mom about me being lesbian. she tried to talk me out of it and I don't know why can anybody tell me?

2. Dins3label

Probably because she's scared and being protective. Her whole life she thought of her daughter marrying a man - it's a big step for parents to accept that their kids will go through the struggles of being gay.

3. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my mother. She told me not to tell my dad in case he responded badly. And she told me not to tell any of my friends because she said it might be a phase, and people can be cruel. It's just a worried mother trying to protect who she still sees as her little baby.
    No matter what you decide. She'll support you. She'll love you.
    Just chose who you tell wisely for now, and everything will be fine.

4. little dick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Best Lesbian 20 :

I didn't know howto tell my Mom that I was gay, or that I have a girlfriend/boyfriend,
    see, were both inter-sexed lesbians too. I was always afraid that she would say that I'm just going through a phase, that she could squash like a bug, like she has done so many
    times before. Or that she would drop dead, which I couldn't handle. And I don't give a darn what my brother or sister think, my brother already thinks I'm gay because I'm not attracted to girls anymore, I only like what they wear.

But I never thought of writing her a letter, telling her. What a good Idea!!!! This way, I don't think she'll be mad at me, after all, this isn't something that happened over night, it's been a long time coming. THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION.

Jayme

5. NightGrazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is exactly what my Mam said even though I only said I think I am! I'm s:***:ting bricks about coming out to her because I'm afraid she'll tell me it's just a phase again. :dry:

6. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NightGrazer,
    I came out as bi, as it gives me leeway to go either way if it is a phase. So, if you do change your mind it doesn't matter, as you never said you dont like either sex.
    Bi, is quite a nice middle ground which allows people to open up, but still be safe, and still have the ability to say either way in the future.
    I shouldn't tell you what to do, but in your shoes, I would tell, closet family and maybe best friends that I'm bi. I couldn't face them in person, so I emailed my family and they were very supportive. And with my friends I said, " I've been upset recently because my dad didn't respond well when I told him I was bi".
    They made no fuss about it, and they only made jokes if I made jokes.
    I hope it goes well for you NightGrazer.

Annon xx

7. rjrh20

Thanks for all the support everyone, during the last week we talked a lot and she understands but she didn't want me to come out to anyone so I told a friend just to piss her off, then I told her that I told a friend and she said that she would let me do what ever as long as I wasn't going to be depressed. I wont tell my dad although he did ask a couple of days ago because of my haircut I think. I look a lot like a guy now and since straight people are known to think of stereotypes when it comes to gays I think that's what he thought made me gay.

8. MixedNutz

Parents do all they can to protect their children.

She sees this as "a decision you're making that will in turn make your life hard"

She may not fully grasp yet that sexuality isn't a decision to be made. Give it time. Also the fact that she didn't exactly react with disgust or hate is good. :thumbsup:

9. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    great! im out to my parents, but due to our situation, there kinda like close friends to me.
    The real hard thing is gonna be coming out to my grandparents, as there the people that are my guardians and that i live with.

i just might do that pretty soon.