1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To be or not to be honest

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soillse, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Two things - first, I came out to someone. (!) He's pretty nice and he propositioned me. I didn't want him thinking me turning him down was anything personal, so I told him. More importantly, I'm volunteering in a primary school next year (I'm in my last year in high school and I have some free time - want to become a teacher and thought this could give me experience.) My first instinct (really the only one that makes sense) is to not bring it up at all to the people in charge of the volunteering (I would never mention it to the kids no matter what) - it's none of their business. But I live in a small community and plan on coming out at school soon, where some of the people I know have siblings that I'll be volunteering with. It's the sort of community where information like this spreads like wildfire. My worry is that if some of the parents find out, they might kick up a fuss. So are there any primary/junior school teacher who could tell me how to proceed?

#1 Soillse, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. Mdp

Mdp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, I actually will be starting my first year of teaching next year. I definitely understand the fears that you're having. I actually got advice about this today from a friend who said, "What does it matter. You have the right to be gay, and you have the right to be a teacher. If a parent doesn't like it, they can try to send their kid elsewhere. It's really there problem, and you're doing nothing wrong." So I guess I'm saying, if you're wanting to come out to the world, it just comes with the territory that in every part of life, you may at times face people who do not agree with your lifestyle. It will never be easy, but you need to know that their is nothing wrong with you, and nothing wrong with you being a teacher! The world is only getting more open to the idea of accepting people of all orientations, it will only continue to get better :slight_smile:

Good Luck!

3. Batman is swag

I don't know about the teacher thing, but congrats on coming out!!!!!!!! =))))))

4. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks both of you, and good luck Mdp with teaching.