1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative coming out campaign idea

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ogzltheeve, Jun 26, 2013.

1. ogzltheeve

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So for my graphic design thesis, i'm thinking about doing a coming out campaign. But i want to get creative with it and compare it with comic book superheroes - Superman in particular.

"When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. He was born Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak... he's unsure of himself... "

After watching kill bill 2, I thought this is a perfect analogy for those who are still "in the closet." The idea that they create a false pretext out of fear that society would reject them or out of fear of being exposed. So, like Clark Kent, they wear a costume to feel safe...to blend in with society. The alter ego, Clark Kent, is the costume. But when he wears the Superman suit, that is who he really is. The idea of this campaign is to show that you can be effective in today's society, like superman when he wears his suit, when you're not afraid to show your true colors. If you want to be that hero and stand up for others, you need to stand up for yourself first. The entire sum of existence is the magic of being needed by just one other person and sometimes all it takes is one person, an idea, or a message to trigger an epidemic of change in society.

not sure if i should stick with original super heroes or create my own...if i create my own i'm not sure how i would develop a 'superhero' from scratch. I am gay myself and I also have a gay twin. We are both very supportive of each other. I was thinking if I were to create my own fictitious superhero I'd incorporate both my twin and I. I have until may 2014 to have a fully developed concept. I do not have a specific design plan yet, however, I am thinking about designing a website and posters. It'd be cool to incorporate a story. what do you guys think?

#1 ogzltheeve, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. Mdp

Mdp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like the idea of using the superman analogy to create your story and the meaning behind it all. It resonates more in my opinion because it is a character that the world can connect with. I think that if you make a new hero, it could in some ways be less effective because it would feel like its a hero that only pertains to the gay population rather than one that resonates with the world. I really enjoy the idea you've come up with and think it's very creative.

I'm not saying I'm against the idea of making a hero as well. There may be some creative way that you could incorporate this idea as well. I'm not nearly as creative as you seem to be, so I have no suggestions on how to do this... haha.

Good luck! Thank you for doing something that could help people! It's really inspiring what you're doing and I wish you the best

3. MixedNutz

Really think the superman idea is great

4. ogzltheeve

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the feedback!! I found it very helpful :slight_smile:

#4 ogzltheeve, Jun 26, 2013
  5. biggayguy

Then You have the opposite of Superman, Batman. In Batman Begins we found out that Bruce Wayne is the fictional alter-ego to Batman. When Bruce began wearing the suit Batman became the real person and the Millionaire-Playboy became the disguise. "It's not who I am but what I do that defines me." Not sure if you can use that or not.

6. ogzltheeve

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's also a fantastic idea! I love it. Not sure exactly which I am going to settle for yet. But I'm liking that idea as well :eusa_doh:

#6 ogzltheeve, Jun 26, 2013