1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to extended family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 27, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

is it worth it?

cause im talking to my gf, and she cannot understand why i refuse to ever come out to my extended family.

we're a very close family, and im so terrified of them finding out and hating me. a lot of my family is strict catholics. and the last thing i ever want to happen is to be basically ostracized[sp?] from the family.

what do you guys think?

2. SkyTears

Really this choice, as always, lyes in your hands. I personally can see people viewing this both ways.

As for me I've never had any intention on coming out to extended family. Although I'm "out to everyone" I only say this because I don't plan on telling them. If you are my mom, dad, somebody i dislike or like I don't care if you know. But for some strange reason I just don't want them to know.

If you see reason to then go ahead but if you are uncomfortable doing so then don't force yourself to do something you don't want.

3. Paralyzer

I don't want to come out to my extended family either.. it's not like I ever see them so they're basically strangers to me. You say that you're in a close family so things are probably different for you.

I don't really see a point in telling mine.. is all I'm saying

-perfect advice (from SkyTears.. [got lazy])

4. MusicIsLife

Im not planning to, at least not any time soon, if at all. Cause i know i cant tell my grandfather, it'd be better for him to pass away not knowing. But after that, if i feel the need to i might...i dunno :/ at least right now i know i dont want to.

5. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I came out to my extended family, and it wasn't a good thing. It's a long story, but unless you're 100% sure they're not going to care, don't do it.

6. Brandford

i know i will if they ask, i will get my mom to do it for me instead, when i come out i want to be out to everyone including extended family but thats probably just me

7. Wired106

Omg I know how you feel. I have the same problem. My extended family is very catholic. My uncle and aunt are very catholic especially and our family is pretty close. Plus my uncle works at a church because hes retired. Personally, I don't think I will ever tell them or maybe I will when I'm a lot older, like around age 25, out of college too. Because I don't think it's much of their business anyways and it won't change anything if they knew or didn't know. But if you think your extended family would be alright with it, then you probably should.

I think my grandparents would be okay with it and problem other parts of my extended family but the main part is my aunt in uncle. If your extended family are devoted catholics it might be harder for them to adjust.