1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thesharkamander, Jun 26, 2013.

1. thesharkamander

Well, I've been thinking about how to come out to my family for months. I've decided that I'm probably going to write it down, and I also don't want it to sound like I'm delivering bad news, because I'm not.
    So I have some brightly-colored sticky notes and some markers and I want to write "I AM BISEXUAL" on them in bubble letters or curly letters or just some eye-catching style and stick them on the fridge. (Each sticky note will have a single letter on it.)
    Under that, I'd like another sticky note (or however many I need) that has a longer message on it, though I might need a little help with that part.

So, does that sound like a good idea or a bad idea? Any suggestions to improve it/a better thing to do?

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

It sounds like a fine idea, but isn't it a little impersonal? I'm sure your family will want to talk to you about this, not just read it. You should be present during the revelation, in my opinion.

But it's your day. This is one of the greatest experiences of your life. Do what makes you happy!

3. thesharkamander

You have a point, john1b1.
    I was going to mention in the longer note that they could talk to me about it face-to-face whenever they're ready, if that makes up for it.
    I'm just really bad at starting conversations so I figured this would help get it started.

4. David2231

David2231 Guest

If you think your parents are going to be accepting of it, and won't get pissed at you over being bisexual then go for it in any way that you think is okay LOL, if you think they'll kick you out or something then don't come out till you're old enough to support yourself.

5. thesharkamander

Well thankfully, I have awesome parents; they probably wouldn't even care, just be like "Yeah, okay. You go do that. Thanks for telling us."
    My older brother even agrees. (I'm beginning to wonder if he already knows I'm not straight because when he gives me random dating advice, he always says "boyfriend-slash-girlfriend" "boy-slash-girl" "he-slash-she" etc.)

6. thesharkamander

All right, I'm working on the longer message right now. I'm going to split it up onto multiple sticky notes that will all be placed next to each other in the order I would like them read. Can I get some pointers?

Dear family,
    It may or may not come as a surprise to you that I like both boys AND girls; but surprising you isn't really my intention. I just wanted to let you know something you might not have known previously.

[Next sticky note]

Contrary to popular belief, I did not suddenly turn into a giant, three-eyed, man-eating pickle [that's really something I would say] and I do not plan on doing so. [A drawing of said pickle will probably be in the corner.]

[Next sticky note]

You might think this is a phase; fine, whatever, but DO NOT treat that opinion as an absolute fact. Let's not forget that it's my sexual orientation, not yours.

[Next sticky note]

You probably want to talk to me about this now, or maybe you will later--either way, I'm okay with that.

[Next sticky note]

I really don't know how to end this, but at least I got the main point across, and we can talk more about it face-to-face whenever you're ready.

kthxbai,
    Claire

[Next sticky note]

PS: Don't take this down or tell everybody for me. I want them to read this on their own, and I will remove it after everyone's read it.

I tried to make it sound as "me" as I could, and also tried to keep it not-dark-and-scary-sounding.
    If you've got any comments on it, please tell me.

#6 thesharkamander, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  7. Holly

That's a really cool idea! I think if your parents are going to understand, and not take it as a joke, I would definitely go for it!

8. thesharkamander

I don't think they'd take it as a joke--just me coming out in my own weird way. They know I like making things colorful and creative if I can.
    For example, I made math more tolerable by creating human versions of each digit and symbol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. thesharkamander

All right.
    I'm going to do it.
    When everyone's asleep I'm going to go downstairs and stick the sticky notes on the fridge so everyone will see them in the morning.
    Let's hope it goes well!

10. Ritor365

Oh my gosh, good luck! I'm sure it'll all be fine!(*hug*)

11. thesharkamander

All right, it's up. My heart's racing and I'm shaking like crazy but I'm so sick of hiding.
    Reactions will be posted tomorrow.

12. BlueLines

Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you! :slight_smile: I wish I had the courage to do that.

13. Holly

Good luck!

14. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy cow! Fingers crossed! Please tell us how it turns out.
    It is a very genuine idea btw.

15. thesharkamander

I just went downstairs to make sure none of the stickynotes had fallen and there was one at the bottom from my dad that said
    "Dear Claire,
    I am okay with that. However, you still need to do the dishes and practice piano.
    Love,
    Dad"

God, that made me feel good. :grin:

16. thesharkamander

Older brother: I so called it. Three weeks ago I even told dad I thought you were questioning your sexuality.

17. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahahahaha! You have a cool family! Congratulations on coming out! Things will be much better from now on!