1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out as a camp counselor

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 1umbrella1, Jun 27, 2013.

1. 1umbrella1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm going to be a counselor at an overnight camp this summer and I was wondering if I should be honest or tell anyone. The reasons why I'm skeptical is that the people at camp are a lot more homophobic than in my town, and also just because there's a bunch of other girls rooming together and I figure it would weird them out.

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

Any job that has to do with supervision can make coming out very dangerous, especially if you're in an area that doesn't provide sexuality protections in the workplace. Many people will see sexual minorities as potentially a risk to their children, and a homophobic boss could fire you on the spot. Make sure you completely understand to what degree the law protects you.

3. 1umbrella1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks! I'll look into how that effects me because I'm a teen counselor and I'll check if I can be kicked out for coming out, since it's technically a volunteering position and not a job. I didn't really think of what the parents would think when the kids go home and tell them I'm queer, and if I'd face discrimination.