1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my roommate I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IntoTheDeep, Jun 27, 2013.

1. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm starting college in the fall and I just got assigned a roommate. Over the past couple of days, we having been talking a bit over Facebook just getting to know each other and making sure we aren't completely incompatible.

My question is should tell her I'm gay before we get to school, or just wait for the subject to come up once we get there? She said she was Catholic, but doesn't really practice all that much, but I have no idea what that means with regard to her political/social views. My gut says it won't be an issue, but I'm not sure that I want to take the risk of her being homophobic. It's also a pretty liberal university, which is a good sign I guess.

2. unknownerror

I'd be up front, just so that it doesn't come up in an uncomfortable way..but it's also being honest at the start with someone you'll be sharing living space with will help you bond and build trust

3. BudderMC

For what it's worth, I went through this whole exact same process when I moved into residence in my first year, and again when I moved into my student house off-campus in second year. Both times I decided against telling the person/people in question.

I'm a pragmatist at heart, so the questions I asked myself in deciding were:

1) What do I hope to accomplish by telling him/them now?
    2) What can I realistically change about the situation now if they're not cool with it?

I ended up answering for myself that there was very little to accomplish and nothing I could really change, so I just held off on telling them. Your situation might be different though, so perhaps you can come up with a different answer.

Also keep in mind that you're just starting a relationship with this person. If you lead with "oh by the way, I'm gay", that's going to be one of her first impressions of you and probably one of the more defining features she'll be thinking of you as. I don't know about you, but despite how big a deal we like to make our sexualities out to be, I'd hope that I don't make mine a big part of my everyday life, and I don't want everyone else doing the same.

4. The username

As I tell anyone going into college, yep. Get it out now. I wish I had. It will make your life a little easier.

5. sexyalex

Watch this?

"SHould i tell her I am gay?"
    pfft! Please!

Sister, I think the question you should be asking is, should she tell you she is straight!?
    No. Ain't no body announcing "I'm straight". So why bother announcing "I'm gay".

It ain't diplomatic status. It ain't no special illness and It most definitely isn't the plague.
    Girl, you going to school for an education. Go get it! Go get it. Make new friends, but TRUST NO BITCH.

Full stop.

6. rjrh20

I think that if you are definitely going to tell her I would wait until she has your "trust" and then tell her over facebook. It will avoid the awkward conversation. If you don't know how she will react wait a little while and see how she reacts to dramatic things. Although I do agree with sexyalex, why should we have to tell people we are gay if they don't have to tell us that they are straight. Anyway, tell us what happens!!

7. 2112

Everyone else seems to disagree, but I think you should tell her. Just say it casually like it's no big deal to make sure she doesn't have a problem with it.

In my experience, being Catholic doesn't necessarily mean she's homophobic. My parents are Catholic and both have said they don't have a problem with it and agreed with the Supreme Court's decision yesterday.

8. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahahaha Alex you're hilarious! And you're absolutely right that I shouldn't have to tell her, and I know that I don't have any sort of responsibility to. It's just that I would rather know now if she would have a problem with it so that I can get a new roommate or something. It's not her comfort that I'm worried about, it's mine. I don't want to be living with someone who will judge or look down on me for how I live my life. As Best Lesbian 20 recommended, I think I'll wait until I get to know her a little bit better, but I'll tell her before we get to campus.

Thank you for all the replies everyone! You were very helpful :slight_smile: