1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BornInTexas, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

...as an "evil liberal" as my mom likes to say. I'm not going to come out as liking guys or anything, but I liked a photo of Modern Family on facebook, and it was so funny I decided to share it. My mom looked up what Modern Family was, and she told me, "There are gay people on there. I commented on your facebook post, delete it."

On the post her comment read, "DELETE THIS"

Obviously, I was really mad she is even dictating what I can and can't like on facebook. Out of good reason, apparently she was doing it to "protect me from the prejudice." I live in a very conservative place, but I'm leaving for college, so why should I care? I'm leaving anyway. Eventually, I deducted why she wanted me to delete it. Mitchell and Cam were holding Lily's hand. T_T And they were "gayyyyyy."

So, to humor myself and piss her off, I deleted just her comment. This wouldn't go over well, but I sent her a message saying, "There was nothing wrong with what I posted. If there was something you thought was wrong, please tell me what it was."

I know exactly what was wrong, I just want to know what she is thinking. DOMA and Prop 8 were knocked out. She even went as far to tell me that I am a certain political ideology yesterday with a dumb talk. I am not an "evil liberal" or a "gay marriage supporter."

This is going to make a strain on our already tattered relationship, and I just wanted to know, is there anything else I should take into consideration before I say anything? I know she might question my sexuality again, which I plan to lie about. I'm honestly really tired of people telling me what to do or who I am. Obviously, this is the "freedom 4 teenagers" stage I am getting from turning eighteen. T_T It's just exhausting. Also, did I do the right thing? In my mind, I think I did. It's a giant weight off my shoulders and liberating to even say that to her.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. AlamoCity

I'm not sure if she'll ever change her posture, but I hope she does. That said, before you decide to "rebel," consider your situation and determine if coming out is right for you. Maybe if you are more independent, it's a good idea; if not, perhaps reconsider. One thing that might affect how you come out is your gender and sexual orientation. Being gay might be easier for her to understand than being trans*. So depending on how you consider yourself, that may play a role in this.

I wish you the best. (*hug*)

3. Emma H

No one should be forced to be uncomfortable or feel unwelcome in their own home. That being said, you're leaving for college soon. While you will be much more independent socially, you still may depend on your parents financially. If you come out to your mom, and if she is as conservative as you say, she may not feel comfortable providing for you or financing your education. As much as it may pain you to keep secrets, it might be best tony to tell her until you are out of college or at least financially independent. Of course, I don't know your mother, and this may not be the ideal solution for you. Best of luck!