1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of advice....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GArchi1992, Jun 28, 2013.

1. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so I've recently (in the past year) fully come to terms with my sexuality, and i've become accustomed to it. My group of close friends are all aware of this and they are all fully supportive and understanding. And it's good to have a good network of people I can talk with openly on a regular basis.

Now, heres the issue...

I feel at any moment, i'm just going to slip it out in conversation to my parents. I don't think i can hold it in for much longer. I just don't know how to do it. I don't want it to come out in an argument or in the heat of the moment like 'oh by the way, i'm gay!' because I don't think that is respectable at all. But it needs to be said and my parents need to be made aware of this, so i can move on with my life and start being happy again.

I was just wondering if any one has any advice on the best way to tell my parents that I'm gay? I've considered writing them a letter, but i feel a bit cowardly. I feel this would be the safest way as i'm very unsure on how they might react. But at the same time, I kinda just want to keep it short and straight to the point. Ahh!

If any one has any suggestions though or cares to share their coming out experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

2. Elflord

Elflord Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you don't want to actually say you're gay just like hint it with a question like "What would you do if I was gay?" Or "Would you be bothered if I was gay" and if they ask if you are, all you have to say is yes or nod which is easier than saying "I'm gay" imo :slight_smile:

3. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Elflord, thankyou! I never thought of approaching it that way! I just read your latest post on coming out to your dad. Glad it went well for you! :slight_smile:

4. Holly

I suppose that way you can 'retreat' if they have a negative response.