1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out - but as WHAT exactly?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BubbleGum, Jun 28, 2013.

1. BubbleGum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there :slight_smile:

I feel stupid asking you guys all those questions but there is nobody else I could talk to so... bear with me, okay?

So I really want to come out and someone (I don't remember his/her username :/) gave me the advice of coming out as a lesbian even though I identify as a bisexual woman. At first it didn't seem like a good idea but then I started thinking about it;

I'm physically attracted to both men and women but only sexually attracted to women (I find abs hot as hell but everything below that... sorry but it's disgusting to me.) when it comes to men I'm practically asexual; even kissing is a problem to me when it comes to the other gender.

So I guess I would only ever be able to have a sexual relationship with another woman although I've fallen in love with some men along the way. Should I come out as gay just because it's easier and my parents might be able to grasp the meaning of my coming out better than if I came out as bi?

This is confusing :lol: Anyway; lesbian or bisexual; what do you think should I come out as?

2. Holly

I would frankly come out as the label you identify most with. By the sounds of it, you clearly identify as bisexual. Yes, it may mean a bit more explaining, but I think if anything, you come out to have people understand you better, and if you come out different to what you identify as, it defeats the whole purpose.

I'm basically in the same boat as you. I can never see myself with a guy, but I find abs hot, and they occasionally catch my eye. But you seem pretty confident in your label as 'bisexual', so personally I would go with that.

I suppose it also depends on if you count your sexuality as a sexual thing, or a relationship thing. A lot of my sexuality is deemed by who I would be happier with in a relationship. Yes, I find certain few guys attractive, but I can never see myself dating one long term. That's why I'm confused myself, but you seem like you know what you like :slight_smile:

Good luck to you, and I hope this helped.

3. Ethan132

I think you should explain it to them in the same way you did to us. If it takes a little more explaining then saying "I'm Bisexual". That is fine. Just explain it to a degree that puts forward what you want to say. I wish you the best of luck ^_^ (*hug*)

4. Dekenkaru

Dekenkaru Guest

Honestly, I think you should come out as Bi
    It may be harder to explain but if you think about it, if you change your mind and become sexually attracted to guys then you can just say 'I'm bisexual' instead of having to go from lesbian to straight constantly
    Just my personal opinion, hope this helps.

5. BiBi

BiBi Guest

You don't have to be sexually attracted to guys to be attracted to them. I would go with Bisexual. I feel the same way you do, and I identify as Bisexual.

6. RainbowMan

So the consensus here seems to be for you to identify as bi, but I'm going to buck the trend :grin:

Forgive me for being so frank, but you don't sound bi AT ALL to me. If anything below the abs is repulsive and turns you off, then you simply won't have sex with a guy, and that makes you (sexually) a lesbian.

However, something that people sometimes have a hard time grasping is that there is a difference between romantic and sexual attraction. Perhaps that is what we're really dealing with here? If you're romantically attracted to men, but sexually attracted to women, that's also perfectly valid.