1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by michaelm2110, Jun 29, 2013.

1. michaelm2110

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, my name is Michael and I'm 17 years old. I'm new to this forum, and so happy I joined! I've been out for seven months now, and everybody knows about me, including my sister. My parents are the only ones that don't know. According to my sister, my mom has suspecting it for many years! I'm not so afraid to tell her, but I'm not so sure how I should approach my dad. I don't think he will respond too well to me being gay :icon_sad: So! Does anybody have ideas for how I should tell my dad? I'm always looking to be creative, so if anybody has an interesting idea, I'll be all for it!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. derrik

Its scary to do this and I applaud your courage. Check out other stores here - I am sure you'll see good ideas. Just remember to be yourself.

3. ScatteredEarth

I know that if I were to tell my father, I would want to be blatant with him. I would want him to know that just because I like men doesn't mean that I'm not his son and not some makeshift daughter. I feel like if you're coming out to a straight male, being less creative is better, because that could cause an awkward backfire.

4. RainbowMan

There are multiple ways to do this.

One thing that's been brought up to me recently (paraphrasing to apply to you) is that since your mom knows, how are you sure that your dad doesn't? Parents talk, obviously (yes, even if they're separated, they talk - not sure if that's the case in your situation)

If you're not sure of his reaction, and wanted to give him time to process prior to talking to you, there's always the option of a letter, either e-mailed or put someplace that he can find it and read it.

5. michaelm2110

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the responses. I definitely think letting my dad know with a simple letter would probably be best.

6. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe tell your mom first and then on another day, have a family meeting, with your dad, mom, and sister present. That way you can tell your dad with other supportive people present