1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in the Planning Stage (seeking input)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicMaker, Jun 29, 2013.

1. MusicMaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would like to come out to my parents since they have told me many times that I don't need to be afraid to tell them things they may not want to hear. Since they know I don't seek their approval on personal/private matters, telling them will be for the sake of honesty and trust.

What I'm wondering is wether or not I should come out to them on my birthday. After all, its going to be my special day anyway, right? The only thing that might make it difficult is the numerous interrupting phone calls from family with birthday wishes.

Just wanted to get some input on my idea so I can gain some perspective.
    (also, my birthday is not until September so nothing is set in stone yet.)

2. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well personally I wouldn't do it on my birthday. This is probably going to be a day of questions that may or may not be pleasant and you don't want to ruin your birthday if something goes amiss. However if you are not worried about anything going astray, I can't see many downfalls other than the interrupting calls you pointed out. :slight_smile:

3. biggayguy

My question is do you want to be out to everyone that might be present for your birthday? Another thing is you might not want to discuss a "heavy" topic at your birthday party. Perhaps you should just enjoy the celebration.

4. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    It might not be the best idea to come out on your birthday if you don't want to face a long list of annoying questions like "are you sure?". On the other hand, I only got 1 question from my mum when I told her so there might not be that many questions. The ones that do get asked (if any) might ruin your day though........

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My personal rule of thumb is to come out whenever you want to and feel like it. Whether that is on your birthday, the day before, or a year from now is all up to you and all of them work.

Doing it on your birthday will be a bit shocking for you parents and might not be the most comfortable of days for them, but if this is not about your parents. This is about you getting yourself out there and allowing them into another aspect of your life.

I personally came out in one of the worst moments that I could think off (my parents were considering divorce and were fighting), but as painful as it was it all turned out pretty awesome.

The important thing to keep in mind is whether or not you are comfortable. Follow your gut and go for it.

6. MusicMaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I will be as prepared as I can be for questions. I read how some have dropped hints to get their parents thinking about it before they actually say it, so that might become a part of my strategy.

But thanks for the input so far. there is still alot to consider in the meantime.