1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you know when you were ready to come out to your parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holly, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Holly

How did you know you were ready to come out to your parents?

Recently, I've been finding it harder and harder to keep in my feelings and my sexuality when around my parents. I suppose it's because I've really tried to embrace my sexuality and be proud of it recently, which I'm feeling great about. I talked really openly about it to my friends who know and it just felt great.

I nearly was going to tell them today, it seemed kinda like the right moment, but I can never actually bring myself to say it. I suppose I don't want to disappoint them. I've always been their little girl, who rarely gets into trouble and does anything wrong. I don't think they'll be unaccepting, but I think they have a 'Don't ask, don't tell' attitude when it comes to homosexuality.

I've increasingly wanted to come out more. I'm planning on telling two of my friends this week and I just don't think it's fair that I'm hiding it from them while telling other people first. I just honestly have no idea what they'd say/how they'd react...

I suppose what I'm asking is when did all of you know it was time to tell your parents (if you have that is)?

#1 Holly, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. LD579

I told my parents when I had:

1. come to terms with it fully myself
    2. told others so I had a support net, sort of

For me, though, I'm lucky that my parents are supportive and not prejudiced in this regard. Things may be different for you, it seems.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I old my parents after I 100% accepted it myself, was out to people who would provide me a safety net, and I was ready to tell them.

I'm in the same boat with Luthan, my parents were and are very supportive. If you think your parents will not be supportive or will be critical of you, it might be best to wait a little while.

4. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I made 100% sure I was gay
    When I told my friend and my sister