1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on coming out to my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holly, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Holly

Hey everyone.

So, tomorrow morning I'm planning on coming out to my best friend. I know she'll be accepting because she's actively said she supports gay rights. I'm just not sure if I have the nerve.

Any tips on actually getting the words out? I rarely say 'I'm gay' so it seems really alien coming out of my mouth, even though I say it frequently in my head.

2. BiBi

BiBi Guest

You just have to let the words escape you, show her you're confident about yourself and she'll be really happy. If you honestly can't get them out, just start up a conversation about gay marriage, and try and steer the conversation in the direction of you coming out

3. Holly

We have plenty of lesbian ships (if that makes no utter sense to you, it means when you want two characters together in a tv show), so she's very accepting. And it shouldnt be too hard to get into the conversation..

I suppose this is just another step to show how proud I am to be me!

4. Rarareva

Rarareva Guest

Just wanted to send you the best of luck for tomorrow (*hug*)

5. campervankid

Good luck :slight_smile:. Just remember you have nothing to worry about because you know she will be accepting and probably proud of you for coming out. When I came out to my best friend the first thing I said was "What would you say if I told you I was a lesbian?", later followed by "because I am" because I also had trouble with just blurting it out but do whatever works for you - and you can do it!

6. Holly

Thank you so much! I suppose I'm just worried she'll tell other people. I'll just beg her to keep it quiet... I'm just going to go for it. I mean, what do I have to hide? I am proud of who I am!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. campervankid

Exactly - well said (!) make sure you come back to ec to celebrate afterwards :icon_bigg

8. Holly

I definitely will! I'll be in school for most of the day, but I can definitely afterwards!

9. campervankid

cool :slight_smile: Well I'm an ec addict (think I have no life:slight_smile:) so I'll make sure I send you some form of congratulatory smiley face - maybe this one :music:

10. Holly

Aha, that is some cool smileys.. I look forward to it! :grin:

11. Holly

I DID IT! I was fumbling over my words and it was super hard to say it, but I did it. She was completely fine with it, and she didn't seem surprised at all. Her first words were 'Cool. Doesn't change anything.'.

She then went on to say that she now knew why I read so many lesbian ship fanfictions. Ehehe, we had the usual 'When did you know?', 'Do you like anyone' conversation later. But she seems really fine with it and I can be myself! :slight_smile: