1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a homophobic mother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MaryMyers, Jun 30, 2013.

1. MaryMyers

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This isn't necessarily about me, but about the girl I was with for four months before her mom found out. Her mom loved me before she knew what was going on. We were basically a couple - went out for meals, drinks, to concerts and festivals, as well as of course having an intimate/sexual relationship. But that all had to end recently because her mom began making her life miserable at home, and despite wanting to be with me, she would feel far too guilty to just abandon her mom. When it ended, I was so devastated that I ended up coming out to my mom, who is fine with my sexuality. We caught up recently after the 'break up', she cried and expressed her sadness that we can't be together and we ended up having sex.

What advice can you give me that I can pass on to my friend? I can't really help because my mom accepts me, but have any of you experienced a homophobic mother's attitudes/actions, and how did you/could you overcome them to be who you are and be with who you love? Is there any hope for us in the future?

Thanks

2. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow... You're story is so parallel to me and my ex's story, it's almost frightening. Only I am on the end with homophobic mother. I'm sorry you are going through the same pain my ex had to go through, but if her mother is anything like mine, she may just have to come out to her mother and grit her teeth. You said drinks so I'm assuming you're both adults. I'm still a teen and not a liberty to do so yet but that it what I planon doing. Wish you the best of luck

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2013 at 01:02 AM ----------

Also, sorry I couldnt be of much helped, just wanted you to know you are your friend are not alone

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2013 at 01:03 AM ----------

Be of much help* ugh I'm sorry XD

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2013 at 01:05 AM ----------

And your friend. You know what, I give up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's so late sorry!

3. BlueSupernova

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would see what was going on at this girls house, how her mom was giving her a hard time, and then confront her mom about it, saying you want to be with her daughter. Just go for the bold move.
    :slight_smile:
    Hope this helped, and good luck!