1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to come out as Trans in High School?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheNoah, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TheNoah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm only 15 and going to be a Sophomore this August and I am ready to come out as a TransMale. I'm already out to a lot of my friends, the school GSA members, my mom, dad, and brother.
    My mom is the most supportive, but my dad is a bit problematic.
    Now my mom is worried a lot about me. She doesn't want me to get harassed or bullied at school and she told me she really wants me to wait till I graduate from High School to start living my life as male outside the privacy of my home so I don't have to deal with my schoolmates. For me that way out the question. I refuse to deny being who I am and I'm not going to wait for 3-4 more years of this dysphoria.
    There really hasn't been LGBT bullying issues at my school even though there are some LGBT-phobic people. I have a very flamboyant gay friend at school and I asked him and he said no one has ever bothered or bullied him for being gay. This gives me hope that I can come out safely. I'm just kinda scared but this is what I want.
    Has anyone here come out as Trans in high school and had a safe coming out? Is bullying gonna be a huge problem for me? Any advice is appreciated!

2. BlueSupernova

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok I'm not transsexual but I still think you should come out.
    If you don't, yeah, there will be no risk of being bullied, but is that really what you want? To be hidden, your real identity stifled for at least 3 more years? And, honestly, I don't think you would be bullied that much or really at all for who you are, if your friend was very, ahem, open, and he wasn't bullied, I don't think you will be either.
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Starling

Out Status:
    All but family
    You seem to be lucky in the sense you go to school in a LGBT-friendly environment! If you feel safe I suggest going for it! :slight_smile: