1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to say if someone asks this question!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AName, Jul 1, 2013.

1. AName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, well im still closeted but im hoping to come out to my closest friend sometime soon but ive had a few discussions with him about lgbt e.t.c but he bring up the point that "it not normal because the whole point in life is to reproduce, but gays cannot, thats what the purpose of all animals are how evolution occurs!" i know he is not homophobic but what do you reply to this with? i know you can adopt e.t.c. But what would be a good response to this?
    Thanks

2. Wardrobe93

I think the whole point in life is not to reproduce. I think its to live it to the full and be happy! I think a lot of closet and questioning people go through this thought because most people want a family, and homosexuality seems like a blockade on that.

But I think if you pretend to be straight just to get a family, then you make that family miserable and cause untold heartbreak. I see a lot of those sort of stories in the LGBT later in life forum, which is something that's pushed me towards coming out!

3. mattjm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well you can always tell your friend about surrogate mothers and artificial impregnation(i can't remember the actual term)

4. AlamoCity

You can say that we are the most evolved species on the planet and do not need everyone on Earth to reproduce to maintain the species. You can ask him, "Should everyone reproduce? Everyone?

You can also state that homosexuality exists in countless species of animals and is a natural expression of sexuality.

Further, you can add that not all heterosexual couples decide or can have children and they are not looked down upon by society for entering into a committed relationship sanctioned by law. And, being homosexual does not preclude a person from being a parent through artificial means or adoption. If your friend tells you this is unnatural, you can state that countless heterosexual couples unable to father children through "normal" methods have resorted to artificial means to achieve parenthood and society has not looked down upon those children or their parents for doing so. What's the difference with gays?

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell him that is the whole point. There are way too many people anyway, and actually in roughly 50 years there won't be enough food to support everyone that will be on earth. So basically we are saving the planet

6. livinglifefree

You took the words right from my mouth. Humans have become so highly evolved and so populous that reproduction is no longer our only purpose. As far as he is concerned, just point out that homosexual couples are practical to society because many of them adopt "unwanted" children. Also it is a positive sign that his argument is scientific as opposed to religious so any logical point that you make will not be lost on him.

7. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could say that there are many other species who have homosexual members, also (and if he's even slightly homophobic DO NOT SAY THIS) if it's unnatural for two men to be together why do they have prostates? And also, the earth is already overcrowded, the less people having kids the better (don't take this the wrong way - I would fight to the death for our right to have kids, it's just another point to make).

8. AName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I did too for a while! But it just trying to get the right points together! Thanks
    Yeah I would not want to live my life a lie just so I fit into other people expectations!

Yeah thats a good point! Actually I was born through a surrogate so I suppose its passing on the tradition!! Thanks

Yeah you raise many good point there thanks! Yes I agree my parents could not through normally methods and they are normal! Thanks for laying it out like this its really helped!

Yep, Overpopulation will be a problem I suppose! Thats a good valid point, Thanks

Thanks everyone I plan to tell him in the next day or so and all of this has really cleared my mind and I know he will take it positively anyway!

9. Aster Tataricus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello

Ehh first of all. Humans and animals shouldn't be compared when it comes to THAT question. Every species has it's purpose and priorities in life.

I've read the bible a bit, and what I understand is that God gave Adam and Eve "two" purposes. One was to reproduce and populate the earth. The other was to take care of the animals and the plants. By what I see we got the first one down :slight_smile: but sadly we're doing a crappy job in taking care of the ecosystem... Also your friend thinks gays can't reproduce? Being gay doesn't mean we can't. Our reproductive organs work fine. A gay man can have sex with a woman for the sole purpose of having babies, while the same can be said about a gay woman with a man, but we don't. That brings about more complications than what we usually already have. I hope that answer gave you more understanding on the matter. :newcolor:

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell him that he is supremely enlightened for knowing the entire point of life.

Reproduction is the best explanation behind the FORM of life, aka natural selection and making sure ones' species continues, but humans have transcended just prolonging our stay on earth. Once you can question the meaning of life, you can make your own reasons to persist.

In short, the person in the original post said something very poorly thought out. :/

11. Emberblaze

The purpose of life is to reproduce? Yeah, that's a bunch of bull. There's a bunch of people in the world who don't won't kids and don't have em. And there are a lot of people who CAN'T have them. So does that make those people pointless and without a purpose too?

That's a pretty good response. And the adoption thing is a pretty good one as well

12. AKTodd

Life has no purpose except what we choose to give it. Animals do not reproduce with the intent to continue the species, rather those that engage in reproductive activity continue the species as a consequence. Humans have evolved to the point where we can attempt to control our reproduction, with increasing sophistication and success. We also engage in a vast amount of sex with no intent to reproduce. In fact we actively attempt to avoid it.
    Does your friend refuse to use contraception, which people who could otherwise reproduce use to prevent it?

Todd

13. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Or any form of protection? Even though it might be because of dsts, oh well, you are just not letting nature works, come on. Please, if the point in life would be to reproduce and humans should do it, then the world would probably have more than 7 billion people now. And come on, it's time to slow down a little, right?

14. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi AName

I recall reading recently about research into epigenetic links to homosexuality in the article below.

Why some people are gay: New study claims trait is passed from mothers to sons and from fathers to daughters | Mail Online

I went on to some other website, which I can’t find at the moment, that also discussed epigenetics and went on to suggest that people were born gay to be “Nest Helpers” in highly fertile families and this could explain the evolutionary paradox. Although the site below is not the exact one I recall looking at you will possibly find it interesting.

Association for Psychological Science

SaleGayGuy

#14 SaleGayGuy, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  15. Grrrr331

I think you should tell him. Real friends would accept who and what you really are. If he doesn't accept you, just ditch him because he is not your true friend.

16. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This.

Your goal is to make your life complete in whatever way you can. It's not everyone's job to populate the Earth. We're way past that already.

#16 lazyboy, Jul 2, 2013
  17. Turbo Turtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell him that it's a good thing we can't reproduce.

We don't contribute to overpopulation.

We're heroes.

18. Dalmatian

The evolutionary purpose of a species is to survive. That's aided by procreation. But this doesn't have to translate to individuals. For example, in an ant colony there's only one individual that procreates. And we look at ants as evolutionary marvels. Another example are bees. Then, to get out of the insect world, take a look at highly evolved mammals. There are many examples of dominant males (and females) that often spawn most of the offspring of the group. So, procreation is not the evolutionary must. The species must survive, but individuals can often help in that in many other ways than just having children.

Back to humans, we have a huge number of people who do not procreate. Evolutionary, humans live far longer than is needed for them to produce children. Anyone who was raised by grandparents understands how important for the species that is.

And about gay people. If you have a sibling who is straight and has children, do you think these children now have a better start in life, when you remember how much love you, as a gay person, feel for them? They will have someone else to take care of them until they can do it themselves. It's a huge benefit and it can be seen through evolutionary advantage as well.

Looking beyond evolutionary mechanisms, yes, now we can have surrogates, donor sex cells, everything. In a few years it will be possible to use sex cells of same sex partners to produce children that are truly biologically theirs, as in "of both women or of both men".

So there's a lot of nonsense in saying that gays are defeating the purpose of life by not procreating. Even putting all above aside, the purpose of life, from your individual point of view, is to be happy. From the society's point of view, it's to make it better. From the species' point of view, it's to keep the species alive (and we are at the moment a little too much alive with over 7G of us).

Hope that helps :wink:
    And also, if he's a good friend, tell him. It's a great feeling.

#18 Dalmatian, Jul 2, 2013
  19. 2112

If that was true, we wouldn't live past 35.

20. Batman is swag

In that case, infertile couples should not be allowed to marry. After all, they cannot reproduce. I would just respond with that, because I don't think his argument is a all valid.