1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dont know how to come out to

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by djone12, Jul 1, 2013.

1. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    help i live in a very homophobic area so all frends are homophobs and i live in a small town so no body can stay silent for to long. famely is very homophobic and cusens and sibling all tell just to get me in truble and parents all was make gay jokes so i just chucl and stay quiet dont know what to do parents use religon as a exus even thow we go to a gay frendly conteporary cherch thay just say its gross and discusting i feal stuck any ideas i kind of like to leave hints so hint suggestons are welcom to

#1 djone12, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. LinkLarkin

Hi there,

I'm only very recently out myself but I hope I can give you some helpful advice!

You say all of your friends are homophobes - is that based on things that they have said or is it just the occasional gay joke? Obviously if they say threatening things about LGBTQ people then you are correct, but it could just be that you're misunderstanding some lighthearted humour. The best way to find out for sure would be to discuss gay celebrities or current events like gay marriage with them and see how they react - if they don't seem that phased by it all then chances are they're not as homophobic as you think.

As for your family, the chances are that they will accept you in the end even if it takes them a while. However, if you really think that they will react badly, whether in the short or long term, the best advice to give is wait until you've moved out and/or have a strong support network of understanding friends. I know this may be a while away for you so seems frustrating, but it isn't worth risking your family life if you really think it will be an issue.

Also, do some research and see if there are any LGBTQ clubs near you - obviously if you go to one of those nobody will judge you, and you will probably make some new friends who are completely accepting of you!

The last thing I want to say is - take your time. It's great that you feel ready to come out, but finding the right person to tell can be as important as getting it off your chest, so don't feel that you have to tell someone right away if you don't think any of your friends or family fit that criterion.

3. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    my frends all was say gay jokes and the 1 out gay person in my school gets made fun of a lot but he gets out of it becase he is rely funny so peapl start picking on him he snaps and jokes about them but im not that good at stuff like that. last year in the middel of 7th grade i was transferd to a new school were ther wer plenty of gay peaple so i made som relly good frends ad came out to 2 of them thay dident care so i pland on teling more in 8th grade but ther was a chang of plans and now i have to go to my old school