1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by catboy, Jul 1, 2013.

1. catboy

I am facing a problem. My family is very strict and anti-gay but my sister is liberal and pro-gay. I feel like if I came out to them it would be problematic. I am still a minor and can not support myself and my father has gotten physically violent before. I feel like it could be possibly dangerous to me if they knew. The problem is my sister is very depressed and I don't want to give her such a difficult secret that would burden her more and could possibly slip out to my dad. But I am starting a relationship with someone my sister knows (he isn't out yet) and I would hate if she found out with out me telling her. Any advice?

2. KnownSecret

Do you think your sister would really take that secret as a burden? Or do you think it would make your sister feel good that you would confide such a secret with her? If you think your sister will be trustful and wont out you to your parents then I would say go for it, give your sister someone to talk to that she feels she can tell anything since you pretty much told her a secret only a few people know about you. Maybe she would be happy that you came out to her, and possibly you and your sister could become closer.

I don't know your sister so I guess its up to you to decide, but I think that your sister would really appreciate that you told her that and I don't think she would tell, because she knows what would happen if she did. Good luck my friend, hopefully everything turns out great!

~Zack~

3. catboy

Thanks foor the advice Zack! I will think about that!