1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Interviews...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tim, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Well, I got my first call for a job interview today, after a few years of applying to places >_< Funny how it happened RIGHT after I dyed my hair blond...

My only problem is, I have no experience with what to do/how to act on a job interview. It may only be at the city grocery store, but to me, it's a big thing. >_< Anyone have tips on what to do, anything that might help?

2. Rahata

Act professional. Don't fiddle. Answer directly don't hesitate. Make your self look confident. Just be yourself but be professional usually works well. Dunno you seem like a good guy so i think you'll be fine. GOOD LUCK!:smilewave

3. LOVEjames

Edit your myspace if you have one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I thought it was all just the hype, but last time I was denied a job it was because of my myspace. It had a little bit of stuff about my previous job and how I just quit because they [the managers] were assholes and I didn't give my two week notice or anything.

4. Emile

Emile Guest

Well, just be yourself. That's my advice. That's what I did and I got a job in a supermarket lol. As Rahata said, act professional and tell the person what she wants to hear; for example, they ask you : "A customer seems to be searching for something, what do you do?", it's obvious that you have to answer that you'll help him or her.

Good luck!!!

5. Paralyzer

Oh my goodness gracious! Are you serious?

Did they find it themselves or did you give it to them.. and did they directly tell you that you couldn't be hired because of your myspace? I'm kinda scared now.. haha... if I ever put gay as my orientation, I might be refused (i think it might be illegal to refuse me for that but it's not like they have to tell me that they know)

6. LOVEjames

They found it themselves. The reason for not hiring me was "Previous Job Experience" or something, and I asked them what that meant, and they said it had to do with my Myspace page. So yeah. It was just Safeway, but oh well. I've been applying to pretty much every coffeeshop in town, just because I'm in a very coffeerific phase right now.

7. Urman

Urman Guest

i got denied back to a job from myspace but be yourself be honest and RELAX

8. SkyTears

Just be professional and yourself. There are lots of interview question you can look up online to practice with if you're afraid of that. And some of the time (rarely) they will you questions that you have heard before online or in another interview.

9. n1ck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck!

10. sdc91

Just stay honest and upbeat. Show that you want the job. That's my advice.

11. Louise

Try running through some dry runs with your mum, her as the interviewer and you the interviewee.

What questions might they ask you? Prepare your answers so that you look confident and competent. Someone wringing their hands and saying uuuummm eeerrr does not inspire confidence. What sorts of tasks will you be asked to do? If you know this already you can turn your answers around this, example ; if you know that you will be stacking shelves you mention that you are very strong, have never had back problems, and a able to climb on a step ladder (for the top shelves) without feeling dizzy.

Well don't put it exactly like that but do you see what I mean?

What can you bring to that job... are you punctual, honest, open and smiling for example. Put forward your positive points so that your employer can visualise what it would be like to have you around?

If asked minimise the negative aspects of your character... without lying. If you are a shy person and you are asked about this give an answer that you are not a pushy person but you do know how to answer clients who ask a question without blushing or mumbling.

I could go on for ever here :lol: Feel free to PM me if you want .

12. Vampyrecat

Ah! Myzou my dearest brother in law.

I had a job interveiw on monday and I got the job!.

It really helps if, you look them in the eyes because that shows confidence, and stand tall, try not to let any nervous ticks (for me its a stutter) control you. Just pretend its you talking to your mum, and you're trying to wheedle something out of her! If you talk respectfully and honestly, and you think about what you'll say it should all go well.

The interveiwer will probably ask some basic questions, and just so you know, they are not allowed to give the job to someone else just because you're gay. It's illegal, discrimination, and it falls under the Equal Human Rights Act that every man woman and teen, regardless of gender or gender indentification, sexuality, mental or physical impairments all have the right to an equal shot at the job.

You're a loverly guy Myzou. Just be you and you should be fine.

Hell, I got my new job over a book reveiw of the kiddie's book "Belinda" by Pamela Allen!

13. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i don't think that i can add anything of use but one thing that i can suggest is make sure that you are on time to your interview (even making sure that you are early) because you can be viewed as unreliable if you are late.

another thing that i can suggest could be your clothing and appearance. make sure you are wearing neat clothing. i'm not saying go dressed in a tuxedo, but you most definitely don't want to show up wearing boardshorts, dirty t-shirt and rubber flip-flops. maybe a neat pair of trousers, button-up shirt with a collar (a tie maybe?) and a pair of clean shoes (eg. black leather) that are not falling apart.

i cant think of anything else at the moment that no one else has said (its been a while since i have had a job interview, i really need to start applying for jobs again) but if you look at some job search web sites, i think a lot of them have interview tips on them these days.

good luck! :slight_smile:

14. Jim1454

This is true people - employers are checking out potential employees by looking them up on Facebook and Myspace. If you look respectable during an interview but your Facebook page is full of binge-drinking stories, they are going to think twice about hiring you.

The internet is public domaine - so think twice about what you put there under your real name!

For the interview - look your best, speak clearly and honestly, and be positive. You don't always have to talk about past job experience - you can talk about leadership roles you've had a school, or how you took charge of a group project, or volunteer, etc. If you've demonstrated positive qualities in other areas of your life, you're likely to demonstrate them at work as well.

Good luck!

15. Tim

Tim

Ok, I went in. It was a PRE-Interview... Interview. Yes, an interview to tell you you MAY get an actual interview... wtf? lol

Anyways, I had to do ANOTHER application, and if this one is accepted too, then I'll get an interview with the head of the department that wanted me. (For some reason, the pizza department wanted me :confused:, which is ironic, cause my mom's been trying to get me to apply at papa murphy's in town for 2 years.) (Yes, we have a pizza place in the grocery store here.)

Anyways, I kept eye contact when I could, but she kept pointing at her papers, motioning for me to look, which I did.

Though, she went through a lot of what I need to do if the interview goes well if I get one, and I get hired. I need to:

Shave: mustache allowed, beard not. I explained I wanted to shave today, but my sisters hogged the bathroom (which they did), and we both laughed over it =P

I would be supplied with the white polo shirt that the pizza place employees wear, but I will need to supply Khaki pants. (Which may be a problem, for my size >_<)

The red in my hair will need to go, it's considered extreme. Which isn't a problem, seeing as I'm getting a haircut soon.

Will probably have to borrow money from sister/family friend to pay for pants/haircut/ID (yes, I STILL Don't have an ID at 19, but $30 is expensive for someone without a job -.-), but other then that, if I get called for another interview, hopefully it goes well :astonished: I acted cheerful even though I was horribly tired and sad XD She also explained that if hired, I will be trained before starting, which I knew, but was still nice to know =P

Only problem I'd have with the job: It's only 11 AM - 9 PM availability, whereas I'm a night owl >_< But eh, I'd be around the bakery, which I love the smell of bread, plus I'd be smelling pizza, cause they cook the pizzas for the customers too. lol.

16. Louise

Yay! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for the 2nd interview. Next time shove your sisters out of the bathroom and get shaved before them. It is important, especially if you are serving food to look clean and smart and stubble never looks good.

17. Jim1454

Good luck!

11am is too early? How late exactly do you stay up?

18. Tim

Tim

I wake up normally around midnight, and go to bed at noon-2 pm <.<

19. Paralyzer

Hahahahahaha.. it makes sense that they want people to have moustaches and no beards if you're applying for a pizza place :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I guess it's more authentic itallian or something.. haha

I wouldn't shave the hair directly below my bottom lip, no sir, I'd quit before I get rid of that. I'd gladly shave anything else though..

I'm really interested in this thread regardless of the topic. I'm trying to get a job too so I like to know how things go.....

Hope things go well in your 2nd interview :slight_smile:

20. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you go in for your second interview, have everything up to spec! Shave, have your hair a tame colour, wear Khaki pants etc.

I know when I worked in a food processing plant they required people with beards to wear beard nets, but mustaches were fine. They probably require it for food safety reasons.