1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in a letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kdude, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Kdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How does everyone feel about coming out in a letter?

I wrote a letter to my best friend when I first came out to her and I found I was able to put all of my thoughts into it and take my time explaining everything. She said she appreciated the thought that went into it and that she wasn't offended that I didn't tell her in person.

I've been thinking about writing more letters to my other friends and family but personalizing each of them. I keep finding reasons not to come out in person and I feel like I wouldn't be able to say all that I wanted to say face-to-face so using a letter seems a good avenue, also I think I express myself better in writing.

2. madbren

madbren Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think the letter lets you say everything without being interrupted its how im coming out to my mom even though I have yet to give it to her. I think with the letter its also easier to say everything you have to say and being able to make sure you dont forget to say something and things like that

3. logos

I think its perfectly fine to come out in a letter. It sounds like that's how you really want to do it, and I think thats great. You should just remember that you'll still have talk about it at one point or another, but a letter seems like a great first step.

4. CuriousBunny

Best of luck in coming out! There are tons of us out here that wish we had your courage. I believe that coming out in a letter will be alright and is a great way to make sure you get everything down. Your family will most likely still talk to you about it afterwards, but hopefully it will be much easier. Good luck!

5. biggayguy

It's important to follow up with a conversation after they have had a chance to think about your letter. Start by asking if they read the letter and what they thought or felt about it. Have some answers ready about how you didn't choose this, how long have you known, and so on.

6. Rainbow Music

That's how I came out to my mom four years ago.

7. Batman is swag

Go for it, for all the reasons you've already explained. Best of luck! =)

8. Kdude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just put the finishing touches on a letter to one of my best friends. I couldn't sleep and was tossing and turning all night last night and I think part of it had to do with feeling an "itch" to come out again. I came home from work today and just sent the letter, out of nowhere. My friend couldn't have been more supportive, so reassuring and he said he suspected for a while but wanted me to be comfortable with myself and that he stopped thinking about it because it didn't matter to him in the slightest.

Another one down, much more relaxed today and glad I'm doing it in a way that works for me.