1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dave5432, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm here because I think I might be gay. I'm in my 40s and have been confused and questioning for the last several months.

I've thought about talking to some of my gay friends about it, but not sure.

2. Hefiel

What exactly makes you think you might be gay?

I think that would be the best place to start and try to figure things out. As far as if it's "time", I assume you mean to "come out", that is up to you. If you feel that your friends might be able to help you in understanding yourself, I see no harm in asking them to talk a little about the subject because you are questioning.

3. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've dated women in the past, but very few ever aroused me, and I'm not interested in it anymore. I find myself noticing men who are attractive, more and more.

4. Hefiel

I don't want to go and directly say "You're gay!" since there is very little information so far, but I think it's safe to assume that you're gradually leaning more and more towards other men based on what you wrote.

A pattern that's easily observable in a lot of gay men is when they start looking back on their life, they begin to notice all the little hints that they'd repress or brush off over the years. That tends to "seal the deal" for them in a way. I think it'd be a good place to start trying to better understand where you are with regards to your sexual attraction. This doesn't meant that you'll necessarily find an answer, doesn't work for everybody, but worth a try.

Letting yourself become gradually more comfortable with the idea of being with a man (romantically and perhaps sexually as well) would be another thing worth looking into, since I noticed your post about your dreams of kissing men.

5. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a lot less resistance inside to the idea of being with a man than I have in the past. A group of us were out the other night and I was thinking how cute the male servers were. And you've got me thinking about all those hints. There are a few I well remember now.

6. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Accepting that you are gay can be a huge step and we are here to help you.
    It's very emotional and talking about it will help you to open up more and will help you accept your sexuality.
    Keep posting, and I hope things improve for you.

7. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Internet has been a big help. I know that I'm not alone. I used to feel so ashamed if I saw a guy I found cute. I no longer feel that way. When I watch movies or see photos now, I feel better and better about it. I think that is progress!

Still hard to talk about some of this, but this website is already helping.