1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think I should come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ptacub, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ptacub

ptacub Guest

Hey guys

Recently my home was broken into, which brought back emotions that I had two years ago when my home was broken into and I caught the bugler and was threatened with my life. I told myself after I got over the trauma that I would try to live my life to the fullest, but I still remained in the closet. But now I feel it may be time to come out now.

I came out to my sister last year and she was very supportive. I also came out slowly to a few friends but I still have to come out to my mother, my other sister and the rest of my friends and aquaintences. So I've been thinking that I should come out to my mother next week (over a weekend, because she is busy looking after my nieces during the week and is usually too tired at the end of the day) and I feel like writing a letter on Facebook to my entire list of friends. Do you think this is a good idea?

I don't know how my mother will take the news. I really don't. Her ideals are very inconsistant that I never can tell whether she is very progressive or still living in the 70s. My sister is Catholic so I suspect she may be uncomfortable, but I don't know.

I know if I do get kicked out I have friends to fall back on, but I can't remain dependant on them because I'm in my first year of university and have no way to support myself financially. I don't think I will get kicked out, but one does tend to run through these scenarios in your head.

What do you guys think? Should I come out? Hiding is beginning to drive me insane and I want to live my life without hiding and lying to people.

2. Qwissen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you really want to come out i think its better to come out to your mother and older sister in person and then posted on facebook for other friends. I think its better to tell your sister and mother in person because i dont think its a good idea for them to figure out while on facebook and you can also tell them how you feel.

3. Islander

If you're worried about your mum's inconsistency, then perhaps you could casually bring up current affairs, such as gay marriage etc. and see how she reacts.

4. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I know she doesn't mind gay people as a whole: She did actually help a family friend when he came out when his dad was struggling to accept him. But he's not immediate family and we don't see him more than once a year, if that. I'm uncertain how she would feel about her son being gay.

5. Islander

Well I think that even if she does initially react badly to her son being gay, then she will come round soon enough, because it seems that she actually is supportive of gay people. So once the initial shock passes (if it happens at all!), I would guess that things will be fine. Obviously you know your mother way better than I do, but from what you've said, I think she'll come to accept it.

6. biggayguy

Young people getting kicked out of the house usually happens when their parent(s) loathe, hate, despise, can't stand gay people. That doesn't sound like your mom. She would probably feel a lot of different emotions when you came out to her. I think you should come out but then allow her some time and space to work through her thoughts and feelings.