1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do I need to come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IntoTheDeep, Jul 3, 2013.

1. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I am kind of in the middle of the coming out process (I've told my mom and 5 or 6 of my close friends) and I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I need to actually come out to certain people. Obviously I will tell my all my close friends myself, but I also have some kind of in between friends who I talk to on a pretty regular basis, but who I'm not necessarily all that close with emotionally. How do I handle coming out to these people? Should I tell them myself and risk the possible awkwardness that may follow? Or should I just kind of let word spread on its own? I don't want to make it seem like I was avoiding telling them or that I just didn't care enough to tell them, but I also hate awkward situations...

2. Holly

Honestly, I would come out to who you feel comfortable telling. Come out to those who matter to you. Don't feel pressured to come out to people just because you've told a few people :slight_smile:

3. Islander

I agree with Holly - it is YOUR sexuality and YOUR choice who, when and how you come out. If you really wanted to tell these sort of 'in-between' friends, but don't want to make it awkward, then (personally) I would wait for the topic of relationships to come up and casually mention that I'm a lesbian (perhaps not even using the word, but saying something along the lines of 'Oh yeah, when I was with <insert female name here>...' or 'yeah, I can see what you mean about Ryan Gosling, but I've always found <insert female celebrity> much more attractive!' XD )

Also, you need to make sure that those semi-friends are ok with homosexuality, so perhaps talk about current affairs and see how they react. Some good ones are gay marriage, and the very recent stance that Putin has taken in banning 'homosexual propaganda'.

#3 Islander, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. gayboy66

The only one that you need to come out to is YOURSELF. If you feel comfortable with yourself, then that's all that really matters. After you feel perfectly comfortable with yourself, then you can tell the whole world that your gay, until then, NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW.

gayboy66

5. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MY recommendation is exactly as what was stated before: Come out to those that matter to you and are a part of your life. Eventually you will be "out" in no time. However, take it slow and think things through before going from person to person