1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at University?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Islander, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Islander

Hi, I apologise if there has already been a thread similar to this one, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I am totally in the closet, except for my school counsellor. I think that my friends may already suspect, though I haven't been open with them. I will be going to a university in London next year, and only a handful of friends will be joining me, none of them close ones, though.

Because it is London, I imagine people to be quite diverse and accepting, but I don't know if I am just being naïve. I was thinking about suddenly just coming out at the start of university, so that people know from the beginning. I don't mean a loud announcement, just something subtle that will hint to people, such as wearing a rainbow bracelet.

Anyway, is this a good idea (would be helpful if anyone with experience of London could give some feedback here :icon_bigg ) and do you think that I should come out to my close friends first, before casually letting strangers at a new university realise before them?

Thanks,

Islander

2. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    I think University is probably one of the more accepting places you could find to come out in, especially here in the UK, where there's a bit more acceptance in some of the cities of gaiety, especially in somewhere like London, which basically a melting pot of the entire world. For example, all universities have an LGBTQ soc, so even if you struggle to find acceptance in other people, there will be a group of people who know what you're feeling and can relate to you. Having said that, there is nowhere that can ever be regarded as completely safe, as people of other races will tell you about racist abuse. However, that does not mean that a city is any less accepting generally based on an anomaly like that. :slight_smile:

About whether to tell close friends first, I think it's down to you. You need to understand whether your friends will still love you no matter whom you choose to go to bed with - if they're real friends, then they should do, or at least be willing to try to understand. Then you can move on and see about just being generally open, and your friends could help you with that one. It's all about personal cases - if your friends seem accepting (or even quietly suspect it), go for it! :slight_smile:

Good luck, I hope I kinda helped (it's very late! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3. biggayguy

I was nervous to ask about the GSA meeting time. It took me a couple of time to work up the courage to go to the info. desk. Once the meeting day came I found the right room. Everyone there was so friendly it felt very natural. That was a small college in a medium-sized town. Your experience may be different.

4. Willjarvis

I went to one of the larger universities in London and one of the people in my hall of residence told the people on his floor that he was gay within the first couple of days. Nobody seemed to hold it against him.
    From my experience, university students are mostly indifferent to one another as a rule, like the outside world and unlike say, a primary school. When people bother you there, either they tend to either want something or they're being friendly. Nobody seemed to the time or inclination to harass people for its own sake.

5. FindingMyself

Coming from Kansas, I would certainly assume London would be a better receiver of such news. But yeah, it sounds like a good idea to mark yourself with a rainbow! I plan to drop some subtle hints myself this coming year at school.

I would indeed tell my close friends before the general public if I hadn't already.

Best of luck to you! Maybe you'll attract a lady.

6. Islander

Thanks for all your advice! The uni I'm going to (grades permitting!) has an LGBT group on its website and scored 10/10 for LGBT 'facilities' (can't think of a better word) in the Stonewall university guide. They also have a group on Facebook. I just hope people won't be too shocked, because I don't look or dress stereotypically 'lesbian' - I'm actually quite feminine a lot of the time. Do you think it would help if I maybe dressed more...I don't know...boyish?

7. TSN2012

Hey there, I'm going to uni this year too! My plan isn't to 'come out' directly (aka. "Hey btw before we get to know each other, I'm gay). But if anyone asked about my sexual orientation, I wouldn't say "I'm not gay" or "I like girls" either. To be honest, I'm still not sure what my response will be if someone asks me about my sexual orientation, but i guess I might just tell them that "I'm gay" if they ask (highly unlikely that I will actually do that if the situation arises though). So to be more realistic, I will just let them guess, I think. They will definitely know for sure if I find a boyfriend at uni though cause I wouldn't want to be having a 'secret' relationship.
    By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what uni are you going to? Imperial, UCL, LSE, etc..? It's okay if you do not want to tell me though, I'm just a bit curious which uni in London scored a 10/10 (obviously an amazing score) that you were talking about.

8. The username

You should rock that rainbow bracelet. Coming out will make your life easier in the long run, and it will be easier to do if you are in a new location and meeting new people. Don't be closeted in college like me. =)

9. biggayguy

Just be the way you are. I know some very pretty lesbians. OTOH if you feel boyish go with that. It kind of irritated people in my GSA when someone dressed one way and acted another.:rolle:

10. Islander

Thanks for all your advice :slight_smile:

I'd prefer not to say which university I'm going to, in case anyone I know reads this and narrows it down to work out who I am. I just had another look at its rating, which was updated a couple of days ago for 2014, and it is no longer 10/10, but very close! The reason it dropped is only very minor though, so I'm still happy :grin: