1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the people who didn't take it well...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Matt, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Guest

What did you do about them?

I have a dear, dear friend from high school who—up front—took it rather well, but she confided in my best friend that although she still loves me, she'd just rather not know that about me. How should I act around her now? She lives far away now but she has a home where I live, too, so I see her every once in a while.

What do y'all suggest?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I had one friend who took it fairly badly. We had known each other for several years, and shared a couple of flats etc for a year or so. He met a young lady at the other end of the country (via a newspaper advert) and moved in with her. Since I was then on my own, I came out to myself and those around me.

I sent him a letter, which explained things fairly clearly (I thought). By return I received a letter full of abuse which was centred on his selfishness. He was very concerned that people would think that he was gay as he had lived with me. His letter was fill of homophobic comments....

I showed it to a work colleague who is bisexual. He thought the same as me - this guy is deeply closeted. He wrote him a letter to this effect, and also putting right most of the negative comments.

I received an apology of sorts.

I still receive a Christmas card every year - just to me not to my partner even though ours is to him and his family from both of us. He is still living with the lady and has managed to produce three kids with her. So maybe he is straight... or is he just in denial still? I don't know and frankly I don't care.

So this doesn't really help at all. The news killed the friendship, and it won't recover.

3. cowboy_wannabe

i think we all have our certain people who don't take it as well as others, and i guess all you can do is accept their views and try your hardest to tollorate it. i especially hate it when people do like what happened to matt, say they accept it and behind your back criticize you.

matt: have you tried talking to your friend about what happened? tried to maybe reason with her or something? maybe once she gets her feelings out in the open you can resolve them.

i remember one of my friends was angry (she hid this from me) because she thought she 'turned me' because she was the last girl i "made out" with. after a long night's talk, i told her that i had always been gay and that i thought we were mutually having fun. that's all she's needed to hear i guess, because ever since then she's been fine with it.

4. Aaron

Aaron Guest

There will always be people who don't take it well. But that is their problem. It may hurt at first, but in the long run you will realize that they are not the kind of people you need in your life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.