1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to some old friends!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ccdd, May 1, 2008.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I thought I'd share this for encouragement, to show that sometimes you fear when there is nothing to fear.

Very recently I came out to a group of very old friends whilst we were out, while we were all together. Even though I didn't think they had problems with homosexuality, they have always known me as straight, and whilst I do, they know of no (openly) gay people, so I was a little worried. I was worried about how they'd react at my perceived lying all these years and the fact that something about an old friend appeared to have changed. I was also worried that the dynamic between us all would change (we're all girls and very touchy-feely). I was too afraid to come out to them (and myself) when younger.

Anyway, aided moderately by alcohol, but nevertheless planned, I came out when we were talking about men and they asked me if there was anyone new, or any cute guys I had my eye on. I said no, but that there was this woman that I was kind of in love with, as well as this guy I have a sort of crush on (yes, I like two people at present...complicated...). They were like, oh cool. And then the questions were just about if they were available, if I'd got anywhere with them. I mostly talked about how much I was in love with this girl, and the advice they offered was *exactly* as it would have been if she had been a guy.

At one point I did say "yeah so I'm kinda bisexual" after saying about the woman, but it was not even an issue, and they were giving me exactly the same advice as if she were a guy... they didn't even act shocked, or anything, but commiserated with me over the fact that neither of them are working out.

So yay yay yay to my friends!! (!) (!) (!) I mean, it wasn't even necessary for me to say "I'm bisexual" or anything - I only said it because I thought they hadn't got the point of what I was saying! I only said it because it was like me saying "hey guys, you realise I've just come out to you, don't you?". It was just that when they asked me if there was anyone new, I mentioned that I was in love with this woman, and that I was really upset because it wasn't happening, and the discussion turned around *this*, rather than the fact that she is a woman. Yay!

AND: THEY DIDN'T ASK ME HOW LONG I'D KNOWN, DIDN'T ASK IF I WAS SURE, DIDN'T SAY IT WAS A PHASE, DIDN'T SAY I WAS CONFUSED, DIDN'T ASK WHY I HADN'T SAID ANYTHING EARLIER, DIDN'T ASK IF I'D EVER HAD A CRUSH ON ANY OF THEM; BUT RATHER, THEY ACCEPTED ****IMMEDIATELY**** AND TOOK MY WORD FOR IT THAT I LIKED THIS WOMAN. AND ALSO THIS GUY. AND WERE CONCERNED ABOUT ME GETTING HURT, NOT MY SEXUALITY

Sorry about the capitals. But my friends deserve the capitals. Plus several of them have asked me how it's all been going since then, so it is being talked about even since then :slight_smile: and isn't being ignored as a topic, but rather the conversation is totally natural, as it would be about a guy. :slight_smile:

So - I was REALLY worried, but it went EXCEPTIONALLY well!! So yay! (And take some optimism and hope from this). The ONLY time I have had NO questions at all! Just straight acceptance, as in, they clearly realise that *I* am the only one who knows my sexuality... (!) (!) (!)

#1 ccdd, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  2. Grof142007

yay congrats that awesome

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your coming out story. Congrats! :thumbsup:

4. sayitforreals

hmm. I never really minded questions. I actually kind of like questions. Otherwise it kind of seems like they dont acknowledge it, which kind of makes me think they are ignoring it... Is that weird?

Either way, congratulations! Im glad you had such a good experience. :icon_bigg

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

wow, that sounds amazing! I am so so pleased that things have worked out for you like that! Although, I'm sorry about the hard situation with these 2 people. (*hug*)

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG CCDD THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!! That is such an AMAZING reaction!!!

You're so lucky you didn't get the questions, when I first came out to my friend, I had the entire interrogation session - 'how did this come about?' 'who do you like?' 'So you're not into guys?' - the whole lot...

CONGRATZ!!! (*hug*)

7. Quitex

Quitex Guest

You have a bunch of great friends there. Give them a cookie for me the next time you hand with them, ok?
    (*hug*)
    I'm so proud of you.

8. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

AWW I'm so chuffed for you!!! (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

I'm really glad it all went so well and what a lovely reaction from your obviously brilliant mates - we need more people like that!!

9. Astaroth

That's wonderful! Your friends rock! (!)

10. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's great news...you've got some cool friends.

11. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Thanks! And good to see you around :slight_smile:

12. Astaroth

I'm glad I'm around too! And I'm glad you're back. When I left you were on hiatus too.

13. Sam

Sam

Congrats! Your friends are great!

14. heinrichtann

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am happy for you, Ccdd! you are lucky to have such friends. I also hope your situation with this girl turns out for the best.

15. Rahata

Congrats! Good to hear its going good for you.:eusa_clap